Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Port/polish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Question Port/polish?

I was wondering if a port/polish was worth it for our 6's to get the most out of them? Has anybody done this? And if so, what did you get out of it?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

IMO you might as well go with a pair of high-performance heads instead.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

High performance heads? Isn't that what SSM makes? I thought they were just 4.0 heads with a port and polish job? Is there more to it than that?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:27 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

If anybodys got an egineering degree, I have got an Idea for some heads that will blow High performance heads outta the water for our cars. It would be really easy to switch them over to a 3 Valve if you could get the right person on the job and a person who is good with dyno tuning
Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BWfVA
If anybodys got an egineering degree, I have got an Idea for some heads that will blow High performance heads outta the water for our cars. It would be really easy to switch them over to a 3 Valve if you could get the right person on the job and a person who is good with dyno tuning
Well, I'm studying to get a degree in mechanical engineering and hopefully working for Ford / Subaru / Mitsubishi ect... and working my way up to their racing divisions (Ford Racing, STi, Ralliart). Could you explain your idea?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well easyer said then done, but where our cars are alreay SOHC if you were to change the angle in the head some where you could fit the 3 valves into the bore. Our bores are already bigger than the 4.6 and then change the pistons to fit the heads. You might need a new intake it but it seems like it wouldnt be to hard. If you knew someone that was good with a CNC Machine. You would also have to draw up the demensions

Last edited by BWfVA; 09-22-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Here's a picture of our heads (taken from SSM):

Compared to the GT's heads:

It could be done, but you would have to completely change the head design, camshaft design, and intake manifold design. The computer would also have to be completely reprogrammed.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

I dont think it would be worth the money plus the fact that if they mess up our in $#!* creak

also for the tune part I knew a guy who got a new cam on his 04 v8 stang and once he did it didnt run right also I knew another guy who had a 03 cobra i think butt he put a turbo on it and it could get almost 1,000 hp but he kiled half a tank coming to school and going home when he lived about 25 miles away

just keep that in mind.

p.s. if you really want to do internal work get a cam gives you more hp with less room for error

Last edited by pthurm_28; 09-22-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pthurm_28
I dont think it would be worth the money plus the fact that if they mess up our in $#!* creak

also for the tune part I knew a guy who got a new cam on his 04 v8 stang and once he did it didnt run right also I knew another guy who had a 03 cobra i think butt he put a turbo on it and it could get almost 1,000 hp but he kiled half a tank coming to school and going home when he lived about 25 miles away

just keep that in mind.

p.s. if you really want to do internal work get a cam gives you more hp with less room for error
Did the guy that installed the cam know what he was doing?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

ya he took it to a good shop and it did increase performance but it messed up the timing

Quick Reply: Port/polish?