Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Port/polish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:51 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well obviously they didnt know much about computer reprograming and timing the engine. I am not saying I do. As for the 3 Valve concept, I never said it would be easy, but just imagine the horspower gains and the possibliltys that you could have with it. I would go for it if i could get someone to do it and it be a proven design. I mean I have heard about people convert SB Chevy motors over to SOHC motors, this has to be easyer than that. I mean like I said, if you had a company who could design all the ports to match up with the stock block.

What I was think though was to give the head a more domed or triagnular shape at the top. I would make it kind like a hemi in a way, but with that shape you would be able to put the three valves in easier in the head. You couldnt go to steep in designig the slope of the head though. Then get some costom pistons that will clear the heads and that seems like it would work, then get your computer work done, plus new intake and injectors
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

why don't you just wait another 6 months to a year and ford is coming with the v6 dohc, direction injection, twin turbo, ecoboost motor that puts out 300hp stock. Look it up, its quite the development for a ford motor. Hopefully it lands itself in a 2010 mustang and hopefully right into my driveway too.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:11 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lrgnation
why don't you just wait another 6 months to a year and ford is coming with the v6 dohc, direction injection, twin turbo, ecoboost motor that puts out 300hp stock. Look it up, its quite the development for a ford motor. Hopefully it lands itself in a 2010 mustang and hopefully right into my driveway too.
are you sure that is set in stone? i mean are you gunna be able to just slap that in our stangs?

Last edited by basketballord; 09-23-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by basketballord
are you sure that is set in stone? i mean are you gunna be able to just slap that in our stangs?
I heard about this engine too, but it doesn't sound right for a few reasons.
1. GT is believed to have no more than 320-350hp stock for 2010, making the similar weight better mpg(turbos) V6 with a lot more modding capabilities the top dog for the mustang. Which would make the V6 the GT model with less hp or the V8 the top model with more hp but pissing off a lot of people because I'm not sure how many die hard fans want to buy a turbocharged, non-V8 car (which they say they buy for the exhaust sound and bit of more power). BIG DILEMMA HERE AS YOU CAN SEE.

2. The V6 now costs $19k (MSRP) switching to a smaller 6 and adding a twin turbo to it would race the price to the mid-high 20's. Does ford really want their biggest selling car to have a $6k-$10k price jump? Doesn't seem plausible to me. A turbo 4 I could see like the SRT-4 Neon was in the high 19's if I remember right and that price tag would be perfect for a V6 stang while getting good mpg, being cost efficient, having good mod capabilities, and damn good mpg. And remember, the stock hp ratings for the SRT-4 were underrated. They made 240HP, more torque, and ran low 14's stock through FWD! Imagine that engine through a rwd mustang and almost identical curbweight. The average driver could hit high 13's all day in that. That imo, would be the best bang for buck and all around performer if Ford could have though of that for the V6. F/I 4 seems the way to go.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

This will be long -

First, yes you can port & polish these heads for an added kick in horsepower, but not many have done it and those who did had mixed results. Tuning becomes an issue once you change the flow characteristics of the heads. Aftermarket cams (one per head) are really reground camshafts, and SSM is the only one CURRENTLY selling them. PowerHouse made a precious few pairs of cams, but that proved problematic (it's tough to properly degree these cams during installation). Blow By Racing has been talking about making aftermarket heads/cams, but that's all it's been - talk.

The problem with aftermarket heads/cams is the limited demand. Companies need to be able to sell these parts in-mass, but there's only so many 4.0L enthusiasts who will spend that kind of money. The money required to make a 3-valve set of heads would most likely never be recovered because they wouldn't sell that many. There's too many other choices when you're talking about dropping several thousand dollars on a motor. FI is the obvious one, but a V8 motor swap is also a viable alternative. For the money spent on aftermarket 4.0L heads/cams, you can buy a take-out 4.6L-3v or a 5.4L-3v and build yourself a serious car (with or without FI). Adding to the dilemma for the 4.0L aftermarket is Ford's plans to introduce the 3.5L DOHC motors in the upcoming S197's. I've heard that early testing of the 3.5L (these motors have been around for a while now) shows that they respond very well to a tune and CAI (better gains than the 4.0L). Whether or not the Eco-Boost happens doesn't change the fact that the 4.0L aftermarket will only grow to a certain size before it drops off. Soon, these 3.5L's will be on the road and cutting quicker ET's than our 4.0L's, and our beloved "Torque Monster" will be cast away much like the 3.8L's from a few years ago.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well Ford is going to have to do something for the GTs besides fooling with the 4.6 because they push something like 310-320 or something. Well I hate to break it to them but the Camaro V6 is going to have a 308 Hp motor that is in the Cadillacs right now, so they will be quick as heck. Never mind the 6.0 SS that will be roamin the streets somethings gotta give. Ford has finally got some competition in the Muscle car game and they cant deal with the pressure.

As for the 3 Valve heads well your right, you could only sell so many units, but man would I love to have a set. Second I would just as soon give my lighter V6 the Ponys that the GTs have just to say that I can kick the crap out of them and their big egos.

www.supersixmotorsports.com makes heads and cams for our cars to.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Just because it has 308 horsepower doesn't mean it's fast...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Considering that it will be around the same weight, along with it most likely being geared around the same even though I beleive drivetrains to be Chevy weakpoint. Also a repectable amount of tourque, that thing will burn some 4.0s anyways and its just a 6er.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The Potato
Just because it has 308 horsepower doesn't mean it's fast...
So very true. A lot of people just look at peak numbers and don't look to see how much power the car is making under the curve instead of just peak. A lot of ricers just look at peak because their engines are made to make power only above 4k rpm to redline or something like that (that's sort of how v-tec works) and that's why most are slow with nice peak numbers. And that's just one of the reasons you can't judge a car's speed by numbers (others are curbweight, ability to put the power to the ground, gearing, etc).
Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

engine swap=bad idea problematic and expensive

Quick Reply: Port/polish?