Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bosch +4 plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

Default Bosch +4 plugs

Anyone have any experience with Bosch +4 plugs in their 4.0L V6 ?

I used to use these plugs in every car I owned, but since buying the convert I haven't changed the plugs. Since I'm going to finally (and reluctantly according to my pocket book !) jump into the modding world (CAI, new TB and tune to start with), I figured I better do the basic plug and wire replacement with new ones.

I know the plugs won't boost HP (contrary to my Civic owning friends, haha) or any of that nonsense, but from my previous experience, they're pretty decent. Opinions / experiences ?
Old 09-23-2008, 05:04 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

I'm interested in this too. I'm thinking about changing my spark plugs to Pulstar or Bosch Fusion and swapping my wires to Livewires once the plugs I have right now get used up.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

I only use Bosch.. in all my cars! but in my brothers Suzuki GSX-R i use NGK

But BOSCH for the win!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Abom
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking the +4s, but I just saw that there's Platinum Ir Fusions from Bosch now too, which also feature four ground straps.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

There's no magic in a spark plug, unfortunatly. You'll see very little - if any - gain between one plug and another.

Fancy/expensive plugs have iridium or platinum coatings on the electrodes. Doesn't make the engine run any better. But it does make the plug last longer. That's how manufacturers can recommend 100K miles on a set of plugs.

Fine wire iridium plugs look like a standard plug. But the ground electrode is very thin. It's claimed to allow a faster flame kernel.

Unusual or multi electrode plugs like the Bosch +4, Splitfire, and E3, have not been proven to make a significant improvement. And at $6-8 each for these plugs, certainly not worth the expense, IMO.

The Pulstars are interesting. They appear tio be a capacitive discharge unit on each spark plug. This would appear to give you a better spark without changing the rest of the secondary ignition system. Interesting concept. But we all know that adding a CD ignition box to a stock engine provides no benifit. I would have to see some serious testing done before I plop down $25 for a spark plug.

I use a standard autolite copper core plug in everything I drive. For my street vehicles - Harley, truck, wife's car - I change them, about every 40K miles. My track car goes through 2-3 sets of plugs a year. At $1.50 a piece, I don't worry about changing plugs on a whim. When it's time to replace the plugs on the Mustang, it will also get standard Autolites.

Heres' some cross referance information, and comparative prices for you.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1433388
Old 09-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Get NGKs. I used Bosch and I didn't like them at all. You cannot gap them if you ever get a supercharger, regular plugs are the best anyway from my exsperience.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Get the E3's theyre a hell of a difference.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:19 PM
roadking05
1st Gear Member

Do you upgrade wires with new plugs?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadking05
Do you upgrade wires with new plugs?
You dont have too and its not a noticeable difference.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
There's no magic in a spark plug, unfortunatly. You'll see very little - if any - gain between one plug and another.

Fancy/expensive plugs have iridium or platinum coatings on the electrodes. Doesn't make the engine run any better. But it does make the plug last longer. That's how manufacturers can recommend 100K miles on a set of plugs.

Fine wire iridium plugs look like a standard plug. But the ground electrode is very thin. It's claimed to allow a faster flame kernel.

Unusual or multi electrode plugs like the Bosch +4, Splitfire, and E3, have not been proven to make a significant improvement. And at $6-8 each for these plugs, certainly not worth the expense, IMO.

The Pulstars are interesting. They appear tio be a capacitive discharge unit on each spark plug. This would appear to give you a better spark without changing the rest of the secondary ignition system. Interesting concept. But we all know that adding a CD ignition box to a stock engine provides no benifit. I would have to see some serious testing done before I plop down $25 for a spark plug.

I use a standard autolite copper core plug in everything I drive. For my street vehicles - Harley, truck, wife's car - I change them, about every 40K miles. My track car goes through 2-3 sets of plugs a year. At $1.50 a piece, I don't worry about changing plugs on a whim. When it's time to replace the plugs on the Mustang, it will also get standard Autolites.

Heres' some cross referance information, and comparative prices for you.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_ap...1&AAIA=1433388

Perfect comments above ^^^ . I have tried em' all including Bosch plus 2 and 4. I am also using Autolite copper 5134's

Quick Reply: Bosch +4 plugs