Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car code help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:34 PM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

Default Car code help

Ok, so I got off work tonight and moved my car to the front of the parking lot and went back insside. Then I came back out, turned it on and it went into failsafe mode with the little engine light on. I turned it back on and the message went away but the light is still on, after turning it on and off a few times, its still there. First thing I did when I got home was bust out the XCAL 3 and ceck for codes and got a P2106. I've looked and seen I may need a new TPS? Is this true? If so how much is it to buy and could I install it here so I don't have to pay Ford to do it. Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

I've researched a little on the TPS, some other '05 mustang owners have had that problem.

It shouldn't really cost you much at all, like 60 bucks maybe.. some say "if its a TSB then the dealership should not charge you". Don't know about that, but bring it in and see what they say.

The dealership might bitch if you got a intake/tune cuz it deals with your throttle body..

Last edited by Avalanch3; 10-09-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 AM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

ok, thats what i was thinking too about the intake/tune. Is it safe to drive for liek a day? Because I have to go to a class today and my only other option is my mom's acura, qand if I can, I'd love to stay with my car.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

P2106 defined
Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

I had the same code on my 06 and a few other guys have had the same as well. We all had to get our stock TB's replaced with new ones, not just the TPS.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:41 PM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

Ok, so you said you have to replace the whole throttle body to fix this? A new TPS won't just fix it because I'm low on cash right now and don't really want to wait a week or 2 until I get enough cash to buy another. also, is it safe to drive on or should I just stick with another family member's car for now? Thanks for all the info guys.

Oh and also, I had my mom call Ford today while I was in class and they told her a new TPS was $85.

Last edited by RobbieCopp; 10-09-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Is your car still under warrenty by any chance?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure, I asked my dad to see if he knew, and he said he doesn't remember, I can call and see but the thing is, Ford won't be able to see the code/ light anyway because I'll need to reflash the ECU before I take it in because of the tune and intake. So I'm scared they won't do anything because of that reason. Also, I returned it to stock last night and then back to normal and the light went away, but obviously the problem is still there. So from someone who's had this problem, or anyone who knows about it, what part exactly do I need.

Also, a few months back this happened, but went away when i turned the car off/on. This was also before my intake and tune. What should I do? And can I drive my car at all, this is another thing that's been bothering me is that I don't know if I should be driving it, so I haven't in fear of causing more damage to the car, or something going wrong while I'm using it.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

It might be and it might not. The standard Warranty lasts 3 years.. which is really lame.

If you have your stock intake, switch it out and reflash to stock. That way they wotn bitch and moan.

Take it in as soon as possible or search google for problems with the TPS, I know there are some other users with experience about that problem out there.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:54 PM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

I talked to the service dept. at Ford over the phone about an hour ago and gave the guy the code and everything. He told me disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 min and then put it back and go drive to see if the light comes on. Well since I reflashed the car last night the code was already cleared, so I went for a drive for about 45 min. No lights or anything, so I'm not sure what's going on here. I really appreciate your guys' help though. also My car isn't under warranty, so I'll have to pay out of pocket if I do end up needing a new throttle body, which is what he told me the code meant. So if I end up paying out of pocket, I'm going with an aftermarket and doing it myself, with my dad of course. But I guess I'll have to drive it for a few days to see if this happens for a third time.

Quick Reply: Car code help