Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New member, need advice on supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by topdawg29
The numbers I gave are correct. It was done on the dyno at CRT performance in Norwalk. I was not driving it, though. Mid 14's on the first two pulls, and the last one was the 0-60.
And I was telling you that even professional drivers aren't pulling off mid 14's with a 7.6 0-60. Professional stick drivers in magazines and testing areas pulling a 7.6 in the 0-60, pull mid 15's in the 1/4. It's just not possible to hit that 1/4 time with our cars and that 0-60, especially since are cars power is mostly down low with more torque than hp. I don't know where you got those numbers, but don't go telling people your car can run mid 14's until it's happened, I have never heard of a dyno giving you a 1/4 mile reading either. I could guess you misheard the guy and he said mid 15's because that would make perfect sense. I don't see your car doing it with the mods listed and I can pretty much guarantee you won't see that 1/4 time when you hit the track unless it's perfect weather, perfect elevation, perfect track conditions, and you launch and powershift perfectly. Ask other people here too. I am not being biased, just telling you the truth.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:47 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Well first off, dyno 1/4 mile simulations, and gtech devices are not accurate, but.... On Powerhouses Mustang Dyno, I was always within 2/10ths of what it said my car would run. But there really is no point in arguing times unless its really tracked, there is never a winner in bench racing.

As for your car, its definitely NOT a waste of money to invest in the 6. Sounds like you want driveability, and some more umph. I've been fortunate to drive every kit out for the 4.0, on the street and at the track, with various boost levels, gear and suspension settings.

From what you describe I would go with the Xcharger. Clean install, looks factory, gives great low end power and has some good mid range. Does not pull as hard up top but still has a lot of potential. The X makes it feel like theres a bigger motor under the hood. Very good and even power progression.

If you go with a centri, I would gear it with 4.10's to get into boost and reclaim some low end (they come on at like 3500). If you go with the turbo you can easily get by with stock 3.31's, and 3.55's and 3.73's. I prefer the Powerhouse kit myself. Though the STS isn't bad, its like the cross between a centri and a front mount turbo as far as building boost. I helped a friend install one, it was a piece of cake. The STS power progression is also very smooth.

Every kit out is pretty streetable, and easy to stay out of boost if you choose to do so.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM
topdawg29

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
And I was telling you that even professional drivers aren't pulling off mid 14's with a 7.6 0-60. Professional stick drivers in magazines and testing areas pulling a 7.6 in the 0-60, pull mid 15's in the 1/4. It's just not possible to hit that 1/4 time with our cars and that 0-60, especially since are cars power is mostly down low with more torque than hp. I don't know where you got those numbers, but don't go telling people your car can run mid 14's until it's happened, I have never heard of a dyno giving you a 1/4 mile reading either. I could guess you misheard the guy and he said mid 15's because that would make perfect sense. I don't see your car doing it with the mods listed and I can pretty much guarantee you won't see that 1/4 time when you hit the track unless it's perfect weather, perfect elevation, perfect track conditions, and you launch and powershift perfectly. Ask other people here too. I am not being biased, just telling you the truth.
Blah blah blah. I guess you're telling me the truth, when I was the one standing there and have the dyno print-out showing exactly what I posted. Whatever dude. I didn't come here to get into a pissing match. Just don't tell me something you have absolutely no knowledge of. If it sounds too good to be true, I suggest you take your car there and have them do to it what they did to mine. Like someone posted, arguing about times is stupid. All I did was post what I was looking to do and what the dyno said I had.

Thanks to those that answered my question and gave honest advice. I appreciate it.

Thanks to those that answered

Last edited by topdawg29; 10-25-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by topdawg29
Blah blah blah. I guess you're telling me the truth, when I was the one standing there and have the dyno print-out showing exactly what I posted. Whatever dude. I didn't come here to get into a pissing match. Just don't tell me something you have absolutely no knowledge of. If it sounds too good to be true, I suggest you take your car there and have them do to it what they did to mine. Like someone posted, arguing about times is stupid. All I did was post what I was looking to do and what the dyno said I had.

Thanks to those that answered my question and gave honest advice. I appreciate it.

Thanks to those that answered
Topdawg... keep in mind, he is a teenager... he doesnt have much experience, and he has been all over the forums asking for advice on this and that. Has a ton of posts, been registered a very short time. He's kind of like static on a AM radio station.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 PM
topdawg29

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
Topdawg... keep in mind, he is a teenager... he doesnt have much experience, and he has been all over the forums asking for advice on this and that. Has a ton of posts, been registered a very short time. He's kind of like static on a AM radio station.
That explains a lot. Thanks for clarifying. If I was going to lie, I think I would have made up some numbers that were a little less "average".

Love the lightbar.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
You really don't quit huh? Again, I have less than 4 posts per day. I have worked on my car and know a good amount about the performance mods for our cars and their gains. I posted what I know about our cars(mods, 0-60's, 1/4 times, etc) and what he told me based on his info. I gave an educated guess on everything and explained it. What more could you want from an inexperienced(?) teenager?

Just to give you a little comparison. If your car does mid 14's in the 1/4 with your mods, that would mean my car does the 1/4 the low 14's or even 13's which I can guarantee it doesn't. Realize how absurd it sounds now?

Now you 2 both have a nice day and go cruising around in your convertibles looking for some pretty guys.... I mean girls to talk to while I reak a little havoc with my loud ***** to the wall performance modded 4.0 .

Last edited by Mustang_Joe; 10-25-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:24 PM
topdawg29

Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe
You really don't quit huh? Again, I have less than 4 posts per day. I have worked on my car and know a good amount about the performance mods for our cars and their gains. I posted what I know about our cars(mods, 0-60's, 1/4 times, etc) and what he told me based on his info. I gave an educated guess on everything and explained it. What more could you want from an inexperienced(?) teenager?

Just to give you a little comparison. If your car does mid 14's in the 1/4 with your mods, that would mean my car does the 1/4 the low 14's or even 13's which I can guarantee it doesn't. Realize how absurd it sounds now?

Now you 2 both have a nice day and go cruising around in your convertibles looking for some pretty guys.... I mean girls to talk to while I reak a little havoc with my loud ***** to the wall performance modded 4.0 .

After reading this gem, I see you were dead on with your assessment jd. High school student, at the most.

Gotta love the internet...anyone can be a tough guy.

Anyway, I've decided to go with the X Charger. I ordered it today. Thanks again for the feedback.

And joe...it's "wreak". Pay attention in Spelling class, son.

Last edited by topdawg29; 10-25-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

actually, it's "wreck." but who's to decide here?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 PM
topdawg29

Originally Posted by Mr.Bape
actually, it's "wreck." but who's to decide here?

wreak havoc:

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/wreak+havoc
Old 10-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

ah well, i've been schooled lol.

Quick Reply: New member, need advice on supercharger