Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

squeaky steering in my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

Default squeaky steering in my car

ok some of you may have read part of a post awhile back about this. It is pretty much confirmed as an ODD problem a few people have now heard this and one of the friendly community members "Afixer" even gave it a listen with no luck. I'll be taking it in tomorrow for a third dealer visit and hope they locate the problem as it is getting louder. If anyone has notice a squeak I. The steering keep an eye here. I have hopes the people recommended this time around find it since I have been told these issues are very hard to locate.

Last edited by lauraspony; 11-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

ok update. Hopefully afixers buddy may have located the issue. It seems there is an issue with a "grommit" in the steering system so one has been ordered and with any luck the squeak will be gone!

Last edited by lauraspony; 11-11-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:19 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

ok for anyone interested. They replaced a gushing today and the problem is not fixed. So now they are being told by ford to flush out the steering fluid and replace it with a different kind. I am not excited about this prospect because I feel a change needed for a different fluid "if it stops the squeak" is just hiding the issue and not locating an actually repairing or replacing the problem. I talked with a few people and some told me not to worry about that. That if a higher grade fluid solves it then itshoupd be fine. But I don't understand that view because to me if my mustang has go have a fluid put in different than that f other mustangs to solve a noise issue then it is really just a cover up and doesn't solve the total issue. The next step if the fluid replace fails is to replace the rack and pinion? Not sure if I got that right or not. And sorry if this is hard to read iphone and super tired
Old 11-15-2008, 01:14 AM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

well here is the news. They did not do a system fluid flush but decided to just replace the entire rack and pinion. Something about not enough power in the gears that caused a squeak that was getting louder and would have continued to do so. Some of the more technical guys can probably explain this better. But the squeak is gone and the steering is really tight. I did not realise how much the steering changes over the miles. But I want to say thanks to afixer for setting up the process and getting the right people on the job. I would recomend those guys to all the forums.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 AM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Hey Laura Tom (afixer) kinda sent me over here on this one. I have been experiencing this same issue, with the slight squeaking while I turn my steering wheel left or right. So I have read up on what has happened with you and it is a help. I will be taking it to my dealer and seeing what they will do. But did they tell you the reason why the rack and pinion was messed up? Was it just from everyday normal wear and tear? Because I do not want this issue coming back on me every year!
Old 11-27-2008, 06:35 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

I am not sure of the cause. I can call the dealer tomorrow " toms buddies" something about not enough power getting to the gears this causing them to strain and star. Making noise. I think it may be a rare defect in the parts because I could not find any info on this when doing a google search. Hopefully it isn't a 2008 model year issue. I can say. Be sure to check the steering wheel area as I have a vibration rattle now and I Think it is due to the reinstall

Last edited by lauraspony; 11-27-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lauraspony
ok some of you may have read part of a post awhile back about this. It is pretty much confirmed as an ODD problem a few people have now heard this and one of the friendly community members "Afixer" even gave it a listen with no luck. I'll be taking it in tomorrow for a third dealer visit and hope they locate the problem as it is getting louder. If anyone has notice a squeak I. The steering keep an eye here. I have hopes the people recommended this time around find it since I have been told these issues are very hard to locate.

Just curious, how many miles do you have on your car? I have 5000 and haven't noticed any squeaking or noise from the steering wheel.
The only noise I notice is from my shifter during the cold weather months. I think that's just the leather rubbing against the plastic, 'cause when I wrap my hand around the boot area, it stops.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:53 AM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

I have a little over 14500 miles on my stang. And I am starting to get this noise.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM
07black_gt
1st Gear Member

hay im getting that same noise also but when i used a air hose on it the noise got more quieter so im not sdure what to do its not really loud but i can hear it a little bit when i turn my car to the right
Old 11-28-2008, 10:51 PM
lauraspony
2nd Gear Member

ok my car has about 20k but the problem started at about 15k. To explain the noise, when you are sitting still roll up the windows and star the car turn your wheel slow but not to slow and listen if u hear a small squeak noise coming from what sounds like the steering system that gets a bit louder as you turn left and right this will translate to he same noise when driving. Until my noise got louder non of the techs could hear it. But Finnally it got loud enough that people that did not know MY car could hear afixer was the first to hear it. I tried to call today but guessing they where super busy. If I remember Monday I will call the advisor and ask exactly what the issue was

Last edited by lauraspony; 11-28-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: squeaky steering in my car