Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Egine Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:46 AM
danalor
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Egine Light

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been searching forums on this, unfortunately the induction for the V6 is relatively new so I'm getting different feedback. Some are inclined to say it will need to be re-tuned to adjust to the different air flow and I've seen others who claim the car's computer will adjust the mixture to compensate for the new air flow. Has anyone added a MAI to their V6 without a re-tune and had the engine light initially come one and adjust the setting over time to where the light will go out.

rjones have you retuned yours at all, you said your light went out after 200 miles?

Old 05-30-2005, 03:55 AM
rjonesjr34
1st Gear Member

I haven't retuned and the cars running great, it semeed like it took a couple miles to figure itself out. I plan on a retune after finishing up my mods but I don't want to void the warranty just yet.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:09 AM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

Everyone I have talked to (including several performance shops) say that if you don't tune it the engine light will go away but the computer will have tuned it self down and you won't get much if any performance out of your mod but it will run fine. I've heard of cases where people actually lost power because the comp retuned itself.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:37 AM
danalor
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided to take it out until I get it tuned properly. Called a few performance shops here in San Diego and thinking of getting it dyno'd and tuned and have the shop make me a chip. Damn dyno's are expensive, the other alternative is to wait a bit and see what pre-fab tunes come out for the V6 and MAC straight shot. I've always babied my cars and driving with the engine light on bugs the hell out of me, chances are probably slim that the extra air leaned out the mix enough to cause serious damage but I don't want to risk it.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:02 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Hey danalor... what part of SD are you from?

Also, if you haven't read it already, read this: https://mustangforums.com/m.asp?m=548772&mpage=5&key=
Old 06-01-2005, 02:24 AM
danalor
1st Gear Member

Don, I'm out in Poway, I posted in the San Diego owner. Sounds like a fun event but my next few weekends I gotta work.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 AM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

a cheaper option would be to get an X-calibrator 2 and you could tune it yourself
Old 06-01-2005, 02:48 AM
danalor
1st Gear Member

Was looking at the excal-2 looks pretty straight forward, something I could hande. I'm new to all this, alot better at modding computers, but wouldn't I get better performance gains by having a shop dyno and custom tune it to my vehicle?

Old 06-01-2005, 03:12 AM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

probably but I don't know if it would be enough to justify the extra $ your gonna spend. To me it probably wouldn't but it's your $. I'd rather spend the $ on other things for my car
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: danalor

Don, I'm out in Poway, I posted in the San Diego owner. Sounds like a fun event but my next few weekends I gotta work.

OK... maybe some future month then. Take care.

Quick Reply: Egine Light