Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Daily driver mods.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:22 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

How much horsepower does a CAI+Tune gain for us? If it gets 20-25RWHP then how much HP will it get? I know my shorty antenna gets me at least 30-35HP... My K&N Air filter must get me at least another 10... :P
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
How much horsepower does a CAI+Tune gain for us? If it gets 20-25RWHP then how much HP will it get? I know my shorty antenna gets me at least 30-35HP... My K&N Air filter must get me at least another 10... :P
Well i was thinking about getting a few TURBO stickers on my rear fenders, and maybe a NOS sticker, because we all know you only need the sticker the tank does virtually nothing.

lol
(We do that all day in Auto Shop)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cowboyjeep
Just purchased a 2008 V-6 w/ the auto tranny. This wil be my daily driver. I'm looking for performance mod suggestions that can be performed with out taking the car out of service for days at a time. I already have a K&N aircharger on order. Any other suggestions?
Not exactly a "performance" mod, but if you are gonna be hoppin' up your ride, changing out the crappy stock headlight bulbs is a cheap bit of insurance.

If the 2008 uses the same bulb as the 2006, upgrade to Sylvania Silverstars (H13ST).

There are comparison photos on my Putfile account:
http://www.putfile.com/album/143123

About a 30% upgrade in light intensity & a change from "yellow" to "white" color.

Still the terrible stock "pattern" (wide vs far) but a bit more light.

Congrats on the new Pony!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Cowboy, where are you in PA? Evolution Performance is located in Aston, PA, which is south of Philly along I-95. They have tuner/CAI package deals, and at one time would give you two dyno pulls if you bought a package from them. I've run their tunes now for over 3 years. Other reputable shops are good choices too, but I went with Evol due to their location to me.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:57 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

My GT is the daily driver running CAI, tune, axle backs... I want to change the gears but that's to expensive at the moment otherwise everything mentioned so far will give you a decent power increase without hurting the wallet to much!!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cowboyjeep
Just purchased a 2008 V-6 w/ the auto tranny. This wil be my daily driver. I'm looking for performance mod suggestions that can be performed with out taking the car out of service for days at a time. I already have a K&N aircharger on order. Any other suggestions?
The K&N by itself will help just a little. To get the most out of it, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a custom tune (either from a local tuner or one of the previous recommendations). A good tune with altered auto tranny shifting settings will make the car much more fun to drive!

I'd also HIGHLY RECOMMEND a different muffler; just get GT take-off from someone for free, or get something different. The stock V6 muffler is overly restrictive. Changing it, you'll feel a power difference.

BTW, the first 3 mods I did were: mufflers; K&N CAI, and custom tune. They each helped in power, but the K&N by itself with no tune had the least SOTP (seat of the pants) affect; it took a custom tune to make the most out of the K&N.

Do you get '2nd gear tire chirp' now? You WILL with the K&N and custom tune!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Cowboyjeep

A lot of great info everyone. I feel better about the K&N CAI now. I'm looking into the GT muffler (lots of big scrappers in the area, someone should have an 08 sitting around). As for the tuner, I need something easily reversed so as to not void my warranty. Suggestions?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

some mods are worth getting a rental car for.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

if you're not going to go all out, just do appearance mods. Roush sells pre-painted parts that can make your car look really special.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I like that final grin...I would BET that the K&N gets you 1-2...maybe not though.

Add a GT takeoff (just one is fine, duals are for sound not performance) and you will see several more HP. you cannot open up one end without the other.

Now...you NEED to get a tune. Money better spent would be the combo pack from VMP. Around $450 for a CAI AND a tune! That is a smoking deal. If you can get your money back...do it.

Other than that, just watch the classified here and Ebay and you can pick up a tuner for $200-250. Just be CAREFUL as you have to trust that it is unlocked and the correct version for your Mustang. Do your homework or you will own a nice $250 paperweight.

IMO, I could care less what the HP gain is...torque is what we crave and the 6er puts out plenty. It is the other improvements that transform the car...sharper shifting, way better rev and throttle response...the list goes on. It will feel like a MUCH better car. I personally could not believe the transformation, it was stunning. The power is in the right spots and the shifting is there to match...I could not be happier.

FWIW, I run an S&B CAI and Diablo Predator tuner with a Bama tune.

Quick Reply: Daily driver mods.