Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2007 rear wing & Misc. questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Alvand

Default 2007 rear wing & Misc. questions...

Howdy Friends..
Newbie here to this forum and couple of questions for the subject grues out there...

I Just bought a 2007 ex-rental (Basic!) model 6 cyl. Stang and I would love to raise the Rear wing (Spoiler..??) by quarter-Half Inch for better looks...!
Currently, It is stuck to the trunk with Sticky foam and held down by four screws...pretty un-noticeable item...
I tried to lift the corner but the darn sticky foam was pretty strong.!!!

My first question is, has anyone lifted his for better looks..?? how did you do it..?? How did you detached the wing from the sticky foam..?? I plan on having it sit on 1/4" - 1/2"rubber grummets...any other suggestions..??
Or any negative/ "DON'T DO IT" opinions regarding this subject..??

My Second Questions is regarding the instrument / gages lighting.
On my basic model, I don't have the: " INFO-SETUP-RESET" push button switches. Therefore, I can not change the color of the instrument lighting per page 64 of the owner's manual and I am not happy with GREEN gage lighting.!!
Do all "BASIC" models come without this feature or it is only my car since it was slated for a rental..??
If I go buy the push button "INFO-SETUP-REST" switch, is car wired to connect to the switch..?? If Not..? How can I change the GREEN instrument lighting to let's say white or Red..??

Thanks in advance for your replies...
Old 12-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

First off, Welcome to the forum.

as for removing the spoiler, unbolt the 4 screws from inside the trunk lid, and shimmy your spoiler, lifting it away from the body, be careful not to snap it lol and dont use anything to pry it off, obviously. Just keep shimmying it and it will eventually come off. Then use simple green or something to get rid of the sticky residue.

Now, the screws might not be long enough to pass through grommets and then the deck lid so check that first, the screws are molded into the spoiler, so i am doubting this will work.

As for the info thing, i think i heard someone say that the wires were just there, but i think you need a new gauge face with the info screen in it, not 100% sure tho.

And it used to be a rental?
that must mean you have the bumper strips down the side of the doors.
GET THEM OFF lol. Just run some dental floss behind them and use simple green to get rid of the sticky residue, and then wax her after! because the sticky may pull off the wax coat.
(Everyone on here will tell you to get rid of that, its ultimate peer pressure.)
Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

I've never heard of raising the stock spoiler... would that still look flush?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Alvand

Hi Lethal and big game:

Lethal, I loosened the 4 nuts off the spoiler lugs...then slowly lifted one end of the spoiler...I got as far as 5 inches of the sticky foam off, before I realized I was getting borderline "MANHANDLING" the situation.
Spoiler was bent about 5 Degrees, only 5 inches of sticky foam was separated and more pressure was required...I decided to stop right there before any damage was done.!
This Sticky foam has one hell of a sticking grip. I felt Spoiler would break before the foam would let go..!!!!! NO KIDDING !!

So, For now, I will stop this project unless I hear more about the nature of this "STICKY FOAM FROM HELL" and how it would let go without damaging the car or spoiler...Beuler...?? anybody ??.... Beuler..??

If anybody can interject any past experience, sure appreciated.!

Big Game, rear Spoiler/Wing would have looked far better and sharp only if had sat about 1/4" - 1/3" off the trunk than be stuck to it...My opinion of course and that's all...just about the improving the looks.Nothing more..!!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

I just looked in the book to see how and if I could do the color change and it must only be on GT's or shaker 1000 because I have a base model but it was upgraded to have a shaker 500 system so I don't think we can do it
Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

From what I've heard, you can use threaded fishing line to help get through that foam...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Alvand

So Cali,

I tried that trick today..it failed !
I tried: Dental floss, 30 LBS fishing line, 100% nylon heavy duty sewing thread, even "KEVLAR THREAD"...they all tore off at some point.....!...unbelieveable stuff....

I tell ya all.....this sticky foam crap is from hell...

pthurm 28 : I hope I find a way ( ANY!! ) to change the Green gage lighting...I don't care for that color.

Last edited by Alvand; 12-07-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Well then its a bigger problem then expected LOL

As for the Mycolor, you can add it but, its gonna be a pretty penny to do so =(
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

instead of raising the v6 spoiler, why not just buy a GT spoiler? It's the same thing simply raised 2 inches or so off of the decklid. You can get it from newtakeoff.com

And for the gauge faces you're gonna need a mycolor gauge cluster as well as the buttons you were talking about earlier. Probably gonna run you $350+.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tire31539
instead of raising the v6 spoiler, why not just buy a GT spoiler? It's the same thing simply raised 2 inches or so off of the decklid. You can get it from newtakeoff.com.
I was JUST going to say that... haha

Quick Reply: 2007 rear wing & Misc. questions...