Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Very Narrow Drone - New FRPP

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Default Very Narrow Drone - New FRPP

My wife treated me to some farkles while I was in Iraq...and I have to say she did a GREAT job. She got a set of new California Special polished 18's that look amazing on the car and a full FRPP exhaust kit.

First, I have to say the FRPP kits sounds AMAZING! You cannot imagine that a 6 could ever sound so good. Idle, on the gas and WOT sound spot on. As far as I can tell, my kit came with the Bullitt exhausts as they are 3.5" tips (GTB's I presume?).

Anyway...I have one small problem...I have a VERY narrow drone band.

If accelerating through (say on an entrance ramp) you will never hear it...right up to freeway speeds and the exhaust is near silent. However, if you are ina 40-45 mph zone and the motor lugs down into 5th...it goes drone concussion crazy at 1350-1400 rpms. Above or below is safe and quiet...but that 50 rpms is killer.

Any advice? I dont want to cover it up...I want to fix it.

The Ford dealer that put it on has not done a ton of these...so I wan to go to them with some possible solutions. I can always leave the parts in place and swap on the cans for GT takeoffs...but I am addicted to the sound. I HAVE to clean up that 50 rpm drone though as it is just nasty.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

It's the mufflers...I don't think you can do anything about it except change mufflers.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

what exactly is a full FRPP exhaust kit? headers, o/r x pipe and mufflers?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Weird, I'm probably installing mine this weekend (hopefully). I'll let you know if mine drone as well.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
what exactly is a full FRPP exhaust kit? headers, o/r x pipe and mufflers?
No headers...here is the kit:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9910
Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i don't think there would be any real way to 'eliminate' it per-se; none that i can think of off the top of my head, anyway. some people have covered it up by placing towels in the trunk where the spare goes; you might try that
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

No offense, but only 50 rpm? Unless you entire car shakes violently, I wouldn't worry about it. There is always going to be a trade-off when you get a louder exhaust installed, and it doesn't seem to be that bad of one in my eyes. Also for me, I never cruise around at that low of an rpm. I stick around 2000 rpm. I have Borla stingers and their drone in my car is 1500 to 2000 rpm when accelerating.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:50 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have magnapacks and they drone at about 1800-2000 rpms....usually from a start and rarely from a roll. I don't like the rpms less than 1800 while cruising but the 3.55 gear seems to keep me out of it most of the time except for off the line. Doesn't happen all the time and has not gotten worse over the past 2.5 yrs. Time will tell but the best way to rid of drone is resonators just after the h-pipe and in different lengths on each side to prevent the same thing from happening but at different RPM. Why different lengths? so the sonic signature on both sides wont be at the same time like before or the same length but staggered some (few inches) so the sound changes slightly (may not be audibly different) to get rid of the drone. hope it helps
Old 12-18-2008, 06:34 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
No offense, but only 50 rpm? Unless you entire car shakes violently, I wouldn't worry about it. There is always going to be a trade-off when you get a louder exhaust installed, and it doesn't seem to be that bad of one in my eyes. Also for me, I never cruise around at that low of an rpm. I stick around 2000 rpm. I have Borla stingers and their drone in my car is 1500 to 2000 rpm when accelerating.
I know...it sounds petty, but that is the reason I went with a Ford designed system. It seems as if all folks with GTAs have NO drone at any RPM and people with GTBs get this narrow drone.

I have a suburban commute...so my car does see that RPM range quite a bit. If I cannot fix it, they are coming off and I guess I will swap them out for GT takeoffs. I assume there is a used market for the Bullitt GTB's?

I even tried to up my 4 to 5 shift by 10-12 mph (via my Predator) to keep the car from dropping down and lugging...and I notice that it works if you are acclerating through...but if you are cruising at say 45...it just sort of lazily drops back into 5th and starts the "whhhhooooooommmmmmm" in the cab.

I even called FRPP and they were ZERO help.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I even called FRPP and they were ZERO help.
You're telling me! I called to verify that the FRPP kit like you have comes with the GTB's because I want the GTA's and they had no CLUE of this.

CLUELESS!!

Hope you get it resolved but I think(according to what I've been told) mygt500 is offering the resolution to the dreaded drone.

Quick Reply: Very Narrow Drone - New FRPP