Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

Default I need help

I have a 2006 4.0 with less than 38k miles on it. I recently got into an accident where a piece of road debris shredded my radiator, A/C codensor and fan assembly. Before I took my car into the shop, I reloaded the stock tune back into my car. I got the car back, but with aftermarket replacement parts. I loaded up my 91 performance tune back into my car and I drove it around for a few weeks. I have noticed my car would start to sputter and it would makes sounds like it wants to stall. The only time this happened is if I would restart my car after driving it around for 30 minutes. I took out the tune and it ran fine. Does anyone know if the tune is rejecting my car due to the new parts? has anyone ever have this happen to them?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Not sure. It sounds like you already did what I would have suggested - reload the stock tune to compare. I would try to load the aftermarket tune one more time and see what happens. If the problem continues, then contact your tuner.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:06 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Did ya disconnect the battery to reset the adaptive learning
that occured while the stock tune has in her?
The parameters probably dont jive with the tune.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

I took my mustang in to the dealership on tuesday and they said they cant find anything wrong with it. I took out my tune before i took it over to them. They advised me that they had to put in new software. I tried to program my car this morning and it wont even turn over. I emailed Justin from VMP, but im not going to be able to hear back from him till next week. I switched my car back to stock and it ran fine. Should i take my car in to another tuner company?
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

No you don't need to go to a different tuning shop. VMP is a good place. When the dealership loaded new software, your PCM's strategy code changed. That's why the car won't start. Use your tuner to look up the new strategy code and call Justin. Tell Justin that your strategy code changed and give him the new one so he could update your tunes
Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Silver Vert 06
No you don't need to go to a different tuning shop. VMP is a good place. When the dealership loaded new software, your PCM's strategy code changed. That's why the car won't start. Use your tuner to look up the new strategy code and call Justin. Tell Justin that your strategy code changed and give him the new one so he could update your tunes
+1
Thats why you really need to write down your stratagy code before
taking her into the stealership for any type of service.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

I still have the old strategy code saved on my cell phone. I think its just better to take it to a local tuner shop called BRG racing. They told me they do work with the SCT flash programmers and I might give them a try. Are dyno tunes better than mail order tunes?
Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Dyno tunes are usually better, but stick with VMP. Justin probably won't charge you to update your tunes. With your xcal go to vehicle info and then look up your strategy code. Give Justin the new code and he will update your tunes. Its really not a big deal and there is no reason to switch shops.

Dyno tunes aren't really needed on an N/A sixxer. You might be able to squeeze out a little bit more power but the added cost really isn't worth it. The mail order tunes have proven themselves to be pretty much spot on when tested by the dyno.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:10 PM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

I decided to order the C&L cai today from justin. Chris from BRG racing will be helping me with my car, since he does work with the SCT flash device and he is only a few minutes away from me.