Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default V6 supercharged

Hey guys, I'm looking into the mustang gt and also the gencoupe with the 310hp V6. I never thought of looking at the V6 stang with "only" 210hp, but just read an article in one of the car mags that had a supercharged 6 with 375hp. I don't remember what company it was, but was a $18k upgrade for the full package and was almost a race car. That got me thinking, could'nt you just get a supercharger added to the 6 without all the other stuff so that it looks stock? I'm thinking that would'nt cost more than 3-4k, but I guess the issue would be getting it installed and tuned properly. Then you would have a sleeper that should handle better and get better gas mileage than the V8 (when you keep your foot out of it). I heard the 2010 gt had an option for the supercharger, but not sure the V6 did or not? That would be cool if they could install one from the factory with a warranty.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

well you can purchase an X-Charger (supercharger) for under $4500 which includes tuner and appropriate tunes for your vehicle. you can either install it yourself, which most have done, or have a professional shop perform the install for an undetermined labor cost.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

you could get a centri blower even cheaper. labor and tuning shouldnt be any different than any other forced induction car if youre just slapping a blower on.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Hey guys, I'm looking into the mustang gt and also the gencoupe with the 310hp V6. I never thought of looking at the V6 stang with "only" 210hp, but just read an article in one of the car mags that had a supercharged 6 with 375hp. I don't remember what company it was, but was a $18k upgrade for the full package and was almost a race car. That got me thinking, could'nt you just get a supercharger added to the 6 without all the other stuff so that it looks stock? I'm thinking that would'nt cost more than 3-4k, but I guess the issue would be getting it installed and tuned properly. Then you would have a sleeper that should handle better and get better gas mileage than the V8 (when you keep your foot out of it). I heard the 2010 gt had an option for the supercharger, but not sure the V6 did or not? That would be cool if they could install one from the factory with a warranty.

Sounds like the supercharged fully-optioned Shelby Terlingua. Check Shelby's main page for more info.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yep that's it, nice car but pricey.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
black08mustang
2nd Gear Member

How about the pro charger kit for the v6???
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

It would be better if you just got the GT. For one it would be more reliable and still have the warrenty and two they aren't that much more than a v6 nowadays anyway. It would almost cost more than a GT when all said and done. Well it would probably cost more. The one rule in modding that I have found out through expeirence is always start out with the strongest platform available with the specific model.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

From what I understand, in 2011 Ford will put the Ecoboost Twin Turbo V6 in Mustangs. It will pump out 340 hp.

Check out the link below;

http://jalopnik.com/5042696/going-in...coboost-engine
Old 01-06-2009, 10:11 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Yep that's it, nice car but pricey.
They make a non-FI Terlingua version for a bunch less cash. It's slower than it supercharged brother, but it is still a factory-built V6 Shelby (or they'll install the parts to your car).
Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

When adding power to the V6's, you'll potentially run into issues with the weaker components when you add the power, mainly the rear end. So yeah, you can just put a blower on, and then at some point you might break the stock rear end.

And FWIW, it's cool having a sleeper V6 that'll spank a lot of GT's

Quick Reply: V6 supercharged