Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Exhaust questions

So in the next couple months I am planning on picking up a dual exhaust for my 09' V6. I am curious about a couple things.

The exhaust of choice of most people on the boards I read seems to be the FRPP. As I read through the posts I am getting mixed reviews that these both will and will not emit a drone. I am just worried that I am going to spend all this money and hating my exhaust and end up ripping it out. Does anyone have thoughts on this or is there a better exhaust solution for me?

The second is as I understand getting a dual exhaust I will have to either pick up a GT bumper or modify my bumper. Is this correct? It seems it would be a lot cheeper and easier to just modify my own bumper. Has anyone done this and how difficult is it?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

it has minor drone if you can imagine... a super conservative person would be the only person to hate it.

Last edited by Legion5; 01-14-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I just had the FRPP kit installed...so I can answer both.

The FRPP kit USED to be a phenomenal kit and value...however, Ford has started shipping GTB mufflers now (used to be GTA) and the GTBs drone in a bery narrow band (around 1400-1500 rpm). The drone is not subtle...it is loud as hell and was unsat consider4ing what the package cost.

The people at FRPP are bafoons as they asked me what drone was...I gave up and just fixed it myself. I had the GTBs removed and replaced with GT takeoffs. I was lucky and got access to a very cheap set of rolled tip takeoffs from a California Special manual...they sound great. Not as good as the originals...but good. I am happy at this point.

However, I should not have had to go through this. If I was grabbing misc parts here and there and rolling my own kit, I would expect some drone. However, the FRPP kit is coming (supposedly) from finely crafted engineering...there should be NO drone and ANY rpm.

As for the bumper mod...the kit comes with two little "valances" that cover up the cut and make the exhaust look very factory. I had planned on getting a GT bumper as some point...but after seeing how good the final product looks, I will leave it as is...it looks perfect and very aggressive.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM
RobbieCopp
1st Gear Member

I just got mine yesterday in the mail and will be installing them next saturday as long as i get the day off like requested. But mine came with GTAs.

what do you use to paint the valances?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

That is interesting to know illin. The drone on the GTB's was that unsettling? Did you install them yourself or did a shop do it? From what I have heard of the GTB's, I liked the way they sound, but not at the cost of an annoying drone
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 AM
supersix_07

any one know where to get GT mid-pipes?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 AM
supersix_07

btw v6mustangstuff.com still sells the kit with the gta's pretty cheap
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I just had the FRPP kit installed...so I can answer both.

The FRPP kit USED to be a phenomenal kit and value...however, Ford has started shipping GTB mufflers now (used to be GTA) and the GTBs drone in a bery narrow band (around 1400-1500 rpm). The drone is not subtle...it is loud as hell and was unsat consider4ing what the package cost.

The people at FRPP are bafoons as they asked me what drone was...I gave up and just fixed it myself. I had the GTBs removed and replaced with GT takeoffs. I was lucky and got access to a very cheap set of rolled tip takeoffs from a California Special manual...they sound great. Not as good as the originals...but good. I am happy at this point.

However, I should not have had to go through this. If I was grabbing misc parts here and there and rolling my own kit, I would expect some drone. However, the FRPP kit is coming (supposedly) from finely crafted engineering...there should be NO drone and ANY rpm.

As for the bumper mod...the kit comes with two little "valances" that cover up the cut and make the exhaust look very factory. I had planned on getting a GT bumper as some point...but after seeing how good the final product looks, I will leave it as is...it looks perfect and very aggressive.
I wouldn't trust some one's random opinion about an exhaust system espetially one designed professionally to fit this application.

Yeah generic aftermarket exhaust number 39 may truely sound bad on the mustang, but this kit was designed by people with ears for a reason, this isn't a gt exhaust, it's a v6 exhaust and it's very specific. Therefore it's Ford's engineers against some guy and they both are clearly saying opposite things about the same subject meaning you really can't 100% agree to dismiss any variation of a part like this exhaust.

Listen for yourself and decide instead.

Unlike with other things such as turbos vs superchargers anything but a nearly unanimous opinion on exhaust is actually terrible info.

Last edited by Legion5; 01-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:40 AM
supersix_07

Originally Posted by Legion5
I wouldn't trust some one's random opinion about an exhaust system espetially one designed professionally to fit this application.

Yeah generic aftermarket exhaust number 39 may truely sound bad on the mustang, but this kit was designed by people with ears for a reason, this isn't a gt exhaust, it's a v6 exhaust and it's very specific. Therefore it's Ford's engineers against some guy and they both are clearly saying opposite things about the same subject meaning you really can't 100% agree to dismiss any variation of a part like this exhaust.

Listen for yourself and decide instead.
the gta's are right off the shelby gt
Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by supersix_07
the gta's are right off the shelby gt
So? And flowmaster Super 40's are designed for everything but they actually work awesome on my factory Saleen exhaust. That doesn't mean it can't be a good fit.

Quick Reply: FRPP Exhaust questions