Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 Mustang Manual Tranny Comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

Default RE: V6 Mustang Manual Tranny Comments

I take off quick all the time... i stretch 1st till about 500-1000 below redline, then i let off the gas, push in the clutch and Shift to 2nd, as i shift I floor the car and pop the clutch to spin the tires, so 2nd isnt my problem gear, I think 3rd is mine because there is no more torque and its not as much fun.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:08 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

you do that all the time with your manual transmission? i guess that will help alleviate and wear on your clutch since it is so fast..as for the engine..that is a different story
Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
andrews0915
2nd Gear Member

did anybody else have a shifter that was really stiff at first, especially putting it into 1st. Sometimes i have to put it back into neutral and put it into 1st again because it didn't go all the way in at first.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:32 AM
MustangBuddha

Yeah, my shifter seemed a bit stiff at first and is slowly loosening up. As for first, every once in a while I do have to return to neutral and "bump" the gears a little to get it into first, but it's something I've experienced with all of my manuals through the years. That is, 2 Chevy's, 1 Honda, 1 Mitsu, and 1 Jeep - they've all balked going into first every now and then - it's just the way the dogs happen to line up sometimes. I will say that this has definitely been the stiffest of all of my transmissions, but my biggest gripe is third - I really have to jam the shifter if I'm coming off second near the red. I missed third a couple of times before I learned to expect it. I haven't really noticed if that's improving or not... I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I dont spin the tires in first, I just accelerate as quick as possible... I watched it today, and I go to more like 1000-1500 before red line before shifting.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dean Martin

I'm starting to get used to it, does seem to have alot of pedal travel, but I am coming from a Civic 5 speed so this is a whole different animal.
I'm coming out of a 5-speed Civic, too... definitely a different clutch. But I'm getting used to it fairly quickly.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Cool. My neighbors bought my Civic for their kid, so I still see it every day. I have now honestly washed the Mustang more times in 6 weeks than I did the Civic in 2+ years. It's great having a car I care about again, except when I have to park it in public.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

seems i have a good topic going..my tranny seems to work fine at high rpm shifting but then again i dont do it that often
Old 06-14-2005, 10:39 PM
T.J. King

Badash said
"I think 3rd is mine because there is no more torque and its not as much fun. "

Wind it up in second, bang a fast shift and with the right paving surface, you will be rewarded with a small third gear chirp. I think that IS fun.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

I had originally bitched about the transition from first to second, and wondered at the people complaining about shifting to 3rd. Now I know.

Twice yesterday, it didn't want to go into 3rd... period. I had to slow down to get it to shift while the filthy Honda to the left of me kept on going. I was pissed.

Quick Reply: V6 Mustang Manual Tranny Comments