Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Replacement Gas Tank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 02:44 AM
n47h4n

Default RE: Replacement Gas Tank Issue

I have actually only had the chance to fill it up once more since my last post.
It stopped twice on filling up but did not overfill and I finished filling at less than full flow (maybe 3/4). I don't know how to feel about that.
But obviously the 05 Mustang V6 (only?) can have a poor quality fuel filling/tank system.
I will be taking my digital camera with video capture next time to the pump, just in case, and filling at full flow (if it doesn't keep shutting off again)!

I am sorry to say though that your problem sounds much worse than mine. I would qualify mine as irritating but manageable. Your's sounds intolerable.

Good luck and I'll keep posting too.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:05 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

I hate to tell you this, but I spent 10 years doing Liquid Fuel Systems Maintenance in the Air Force before I became a Communications officer.

It is the nozzle that shuts the flow of fuel off. I've had to rebuild many a nozzle because the vacuum breaker (the mechanism that cuts off the nozzle) went bad. Basically, it's a little tube that extends down the neck of the nozzle. When fuel enters that tube, it travels to the large part at the top of the nozzle and dumps onto a diaphragm which in turn trips the nozzle shut. If you don't believe me, look into one sometime. People may think you're crazy, but you'll see the little tube inside.

As for an explanation as to why it's happening, I'm not sure. I do know some nozzles shut off quicker than others, though...

At the same time, I do feel your pain with the tank issues. I had the same original problem as you and a million others, so I brought it in. That was a few weeks ago. The new tank is in (along with new Skipper1000, front and rear strut assemblies, etc...) and I'm just waiting until I get the tank down to less than 1/4 so they can replace it.

I'll let you know how it goes... but for now, you've got me scared.

ORIGINAL: cathane

....the service manager told my contact that there is nothing in the tank or in the fuel filler line that stops gas from overflowing, and that the pumps do this, and hence there is nothing wrong with my car! Apparently, the pumps must see my car, notice that I've had my gas tank replaced, and decide that they'd like to spill some gas over the side of it!! It didn't matter that I never had this problem with the old tank (only the slow fill issue at newer pumps), that I'm going to the EXCAT same pumps now, that my friend who had his 05 gas tank replaced and goes to these pumps has no issues... it's the pump, not the tank!

......from what I understand, pressure from the tank causes the pump to stop sending fuel, and therefore there is a problem with the tank as it is obviously not doing this properly.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:04 AM
n47h4n

Well, I filled her up again with weird results and only one conclusion: the incline of my vehicle while filling seems to matter.

I tried filling it up at a pump where the car was at a slight incline, maybe, 5-10 degrees. It would NOT fill up past 3/4 full, no mater what.
I then drove to another station of the same chain, and parked at a slight decline 5-10, and it filled up the last 1/4 tank no problems, no gushing over.

I have not had any gush overs since the first 3 fills after the new tank was installed, but I am still obvisoulsy getting abnormal filling behavior.

I guess she will go back to the dealer AGAIN for the 4th time.

Damn Mustang gas tanks!

Old 07-11-2005, 04:40 AM
JC74
2nd Gear Member

OK let me first state I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I did a little research into the matter and flapjack is correct with how the cutoff works, but I believe the cause IS the fuel tank. Here is an excerpt of what I found.

How does a gasoline pump at a filling station know when the tank is full?
This mechanism has been around for a long time, so it is safe to say there is not a miniature camera inside the nozzle hooked to a microprocessor. It's purely mechanical -- and ingenious.

Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

Here's a way to think about it -- you've got a small pipe with suction being applied at one end and air flowing through the pipe easily. If you stick the free end of the pipe in a glass of water, much more suction is needed, so a vacuum develops in the middle of the pipe. That vacuum can be used to flip a lever that cuts off the nozzle.

The next time you fill up your tank, look for this hole either on the inside or the outside of the tip.

So here's how I see it..The tank IS NOT creating enough vacuum to trip the cutoff until it's too late..Why? Perhaps, when Ford came out with the replacemnt tank they vented it (or something along these lines) to fix the original problem of early cutoff. So IMHO they did a quick fix and lessened the vacuum too much somehow.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:40 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

JC74

That's a pretty good explanation. More in depth than I got into, in case anyone really wanted to know how it worked. Me, I couldn't wait to get out of fuel system maintenance!

I can say, in my 10 years in that career field, I have NEVER seen anything like the problem we're having....
Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

its got to be a certain set of cars that has this problem...i havent had a single problem filling in months..it did happen right when i got it but then it stopped
Old 07-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

Same here. happened once when i first got her but has never happened again in 4000 miles. Weird
Old 07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JC74

OK let me first state I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
This statement makes no sense when you first read it. I'm no mechanical engineer either, but I did eat at Taco Bell once.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:06 PM
05 windveil blu

i took mine to the dealer on the 12th of july and it is on national back order
Old 07-13-2005, 10:56 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jfrayzier

ORIGINAL: JC74

OK let me first state I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
This statement makes no sense when you first read it. I'm no mechanical engineer either, but I did eat at Taco Bell once.
It's from a Holiday Inn commercial.

Quick Reply: Replacement Gas Tank Issue