Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Pypes Dual Exhaust

I'm thinking this spring I'm going to put on Duals. I'm planning to go with Pypes Dual Exhaust and GT Takeoff mufflers over the FRPP Kit because its so much cheaper. I've got a few questions first:

-Is Pypes a good trustworthy brand?

-Some people say "this is a TRUE dual exhaust" or its "NOT a TRUE dual exhaust". What is the difference between a true dual and one that's not?

-Is that Pypes kit a TRUE dual exhaust or not?

-If I do that Pypes kit what is the difference from that kit versus a GT's STOCK exhaust system? Is the tip spacing at the rear bumper the same as a GT's (so if I buy a GT Bumper I can install it without any rearranging)

-I live in the cold/snowy/artic tundra... Minnesota... my city pours Salt everywhere so will these Pypes be reliable for 5,6,7+ years in that sort of condition without major rust problems or other problems? Or will this rust away easily or have other problems?

-Ballpark estimate, how much will it cost to have these installed?

-I know that my Factory Warranty can be VOID if these cause Failure to any other parts. What other parts could potentially "break" and not be covered by warranty other than the O2 sensor?

-I'm mostly getting these for looks, but what will these do for performance improvement? 1-2 Horsepower? Also will these increase MPG?

-And finally do you know if these inserts I have circled in the Red (below) will fit AND look nice (similar to the picture, fit with that stockish look) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/Max15/duals2.jpg

Sorry for so many questions but I'd like to know
Thanks
Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

YES Pypes is a trustworthy brand, many have used them.

YES it is true duals. The use of an X or H pipe determines an exhaust set up as "true" duals

All the exhaust systems are about the same length, and with a little adjusting you can choose how far out the tips stick, so a GT bumper will be fine

Stainless Steel doesn't rust; you should be fine

Installation - $60-$120? My full exhaust install was $60, relatively cheap

Duals shouldn't really affect anything severely, find a new dealership if they want to void your warranty

You might see 1-2 HP since it's an X pipe. They're more for looks...

If you decide to just cut your stock bumper, then those inserts will look great

Hope that answers your questions
Old 02-07-2009, 07:35 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I have Pypes X pipe, mid pipe and GT takeoff mufflers. At the time, Ford didn't offer their V6 exhaust setup and like you, thought it was the best bang for the buck. I do enjoy mine and have not noticed any rust and they have been on since 2007. As far as the bumper, I cut mine using a template. I have had people tell me it looks like a factory job.
Duals have not effected my gas mileage. I get around 22-23 mpg in the city.

I will say if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the FRPP duals with Borla or Corsa mufflers.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:56 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

How far do these mufflers stick out from the rear end? I really dont like the looks of them sticking out 1" (give or take) from the rear bumper... I like them flush with the bumper. Do these stick out way farther... or can you see the pipe from a side view? Something about that I just dont like so much... :S
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

You don't have much of a choice because of the complexity
of the bends in the piping on over the axels and the short
bend on the front side of the mufflers. Combine that with
the V6 bumpers contour, and the only thing besides making
sure the slip joints in the system are as tight together as you
can get them, you are s.o.l. Of course, you could just cut the
tips off to your liking. The GT rear bumpers extended areas around
the pipe openings do lessen the amount of the exposed pipe but
not by much.
Bob
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I think I might just go FRPP and not deal with the headache. Perhaps I'll go FRPP, sell the mufflers it comes with for $$$ and get some cheap GT Take offs, I'd estimate I could get the setup (after selling the mufflers) for around $350 or so, right?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I think I might just go FRPP and not deal with the headache. Perhaps I'll go FRPP, sell the mufflers it comes with for $$$ and get some cheap GT Take offs, I'd estimate I could get the setup (after selling the mufflers) for around $350 or so, right?
There really is no headache to deal with. If you're on a budget go with Pypes. Both the Pypes and FRPP kit are really similar. They both use an x-pipe, install the same way, and both come with all mounting hardware. I've been running my Pypes kit for over a year and I couldn't be happier. I've had no problems at all. I installed the kit myself in my garage and it was a prety easy straight forward job, so I can't see it costing a whole lot to install.

I agree with AlloySixxer 100%. Pypes is trustworthy. The kit is stainless steel and mandrel bent. It is a true dual system with an x-pipe. A true dual system has either an h or x pipe. With my duals I noticed the car pulled a little bit harder in the upper RPMs, but other than that I didn't notice a big performance gain. The tips will stick out a little bit with the stock v6 bumper no matter what system you buy. It looks fine and if you do a good job making your cut outs it will look like a factory setup. I wouldn't worry about the warranty. Duals won't hurt anything and I doubt your dealership will give you a bad time. My dealership couldn't care less about my dual exhaust.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

you can get the pypes x pipe separate for like 95 then just get a gt driverside mid pipe and the gt take off that and a extra muffler hanger and two bolts and your set. I was going to buy the x pipe from pypes but got a new h pipe for a gt with long tubes for 32 got the mid pipe used from pypes at swap meet for 15 pm me if you want more info.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

It really does not matter which of the two brands you use,
it really DOES matter how much money you want to spend.
Sounds like you are very confused on a really simple system.
You probably should have someone else do your work.You
are trying to reinvent the wheel. Both the FRPP and Pypes
systems are basically designed the same and perform the same.
FRPP's X pipe is shorter than the Pypes X but that means the
cuts in the cat pipes would be in a different place from each.
Otherwise, not much else different except the finished trim
pieces in the Ford kit that you don't get with Pypes. Big deal.
Use the search button on your computer. It's your friend!
Good luck
Bob
Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
How far do these mufflers stick out from the rear end? I really dont like the looks of them sticking out 1" (give or take) from the rear bumper... I like them flush with the bumper. Do these stick out way farther... or can you see the pipe from a side view? Something about that I just dont like so much... :S
Mine do stick out more so than a GT, but as some have pointed out here, it's the shape of our bumpers that make it look like that. Me personally, I like the look because it reminds me of the old muscle car era when you saw tail pipes sticking out.

You can purchase a rear valiance, GT or some other bumpers from various body kits.

Quick Reply: Pypes Dual Exhaust