Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can you add more HP besides cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:38 PM
mustang nakotah
1st Gear Member

what about those throttle bodyspacer? sorry, i'm kinda tight on the budget here. plus, i really don't understand too much about cars. still a beginner. but i do understand those supercharger, nitrous stuff. yikes on the price range!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang nakotah
what about those throttle bodyspacer?
Utterly useless, don't spend any money on that.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Just myself, I would get some dual exhaust, wont had really that many more horses but will deff. make it more fun to drive just for the sound. Dont ask what kind, I will just warn you, there are to many to choose from and you just have to get on Youtube and find out what fits you, maybe you got someone around you that has them and you can listen to theirs.

As for price, well I got mine true dualed with Flowmaster 40's for $274 in all but that is a little on the cheap side cause I got connections with the muffler shop but I wouldnt say no more than 350 at a good shop.

Get you a tune to top it all off with the mufflers and intake and you should have good fun for a little bit
Old 02-16-2009, 01:29 AM
mustang nakotah
1st Gear Member

yeah, i definitely like that low growling sound from the muffler. i noticed a change after replacing it with a cold air intake. seem to take a while for some reason. about adding the additional pipe, do you have to go to several places just to have the bottom carved out, painted, then put the muffler on? i'm sorry that i'm asking so many questions but i just love the car and i know we'll be keeping it for a long time. but i really appreciate the answers. seems like the v6 people are much nicer than the v8's.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

u can go with a single muffler replacement to your stock which will give you a noticeable little boost. GT-takeoffs are dirt cheap or you can go with another big name brand for more money but it is advised you save that money in case you want to go duals anytime in the near future. i have the jba dual h-pipe kit which you can see in my sig pic. i cut the half-circle notch out on the drivers side myself. which intake do you currently have?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

The tune is gonna be your best bet for immediate gain. Other than FI but it sounds like thats not really in the question. I am pretty much on the same train as you right now. I have lots of plans for my car but the budget is killing them haha. I'm going to go with a new rearend, 8.8 with 4.10 gears first and a DS. But my advice is go with the CAI/tune.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

-exhaust / mufflers
-tuner
-headers
-better spark plugs
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well you dont have to go many place in particular, usually if you take it to a muffler shop they will pipe it all up and put it all together for you. If you ask them they will proably cut the bumper to if you go duals. If you just want a single exhaust, then no worries, if you have some skill with a wrench in a few minutes and you have it changed
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM
mustang nakotah
1st Gear Member

i have an mmr (modular mustang (racing?) cold air intake. i know the k&n is popular name brand but i had to stick with the cheapest. when i received the intake for the very first time, i was like, this is it? dang, i could have made this myself.
maybe i am thinking about getting a tuner then if that's gonna be the case just to mess around with.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Regarding the bumper for dual exhaust, the bottom part of the stock rear bumper can be easily cut out for the driver side pipe exit. No painting needed. Just make sure it's someone who knows what they are doing!

Quick Reply: Can you add more HP besides cold air intake?