Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Renaultfool

I put on a set of shorty headers and v8 takeoffs last fall. I really like the setup. I bought a set of the cheap headers off ebay and when they came they were not 1 5/8" OD as advertised but 1 1/2" OD. The inside of the tubing at the manifold face was unfinished and small. Because they were advertised wrong they sent a pickup for them. I then paid a little over $200 on Ebay, from Blue Oval I think, for a set of Pypes shorty headers, also advertised as 1 5/8" OD, which also were only 1 1/2" OD really. The difference was that they were finished on the ID of the header port openings at the manifold face and were measurably larger. I kept these and like them.
You have to remove the exhaust studs to get the stock headers out of the engine bay. You will need to double nut them to crack them loose. If you try to do it with the little Torx ends on them you will just twist them off. Oh yes, don't drop a stud down the cat converter. It is a lot more work to get it out. Trust me I know.
I used a Pypes X pipe and it fit perfectly, except the mid mounts were too short. Pypes said they were not needed and I have had them on for about 4 months now with no problems.
If you do not get the muffler mounts with your takeoffs you will have to buy them from Pypes or Ford. You will have to tap the holes in the drivers side rear frame rail to bolt the mounts on as the holes are not threaded.
I did it myself in the driveway on jackstands in one weekend.
Carl
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I'm actually trying to decide if I want to go with my original choice of JBA shorty headers or be a test dummy for the Pace Setter long tubes.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

about what is the hp and torque gained with shorty headers?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
izzyocon
1st Gear Member

someone told me that stock headers are just as good. i agree because 1.5 inches isn't such a big difference from 1 5/8 inches. they said just to get them if you want to dress up your engine and make it look pretty....but that guy has lied to me before....so upload an mp3 to see what it sounds like. good luck playa and keep it jiggly
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i accept the fact that they will make minimal gains (5-7 hp, 7-10lb tq) and that the sound improvement is noticiable but not major. anything i can do to make my engine "breathe" better and reduce work stress, i'm all for especially if a good deal on a set can be found. i feel i found a good deal on a brand new set of JBA's so i went ahead and purchased them. We'll see how it all turns out.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
rock61992
1st Gear Member

Default Pace Setters?

heartinacage I'm actually trying to decide if I want to go with my original choice of JBA shorty headers or be a test dummy for the Pace Setter long tubes.
02-18-2009 09:47 PM
id like to know more about these LTs, i havent heard of them yet, who sells them?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

People have reported about the thin gauge Pacesetters rusting out quickly.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:16 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well it seemed to give me more of a kick on top end than bottom. Its not a huge difference but I still say its noticable. I just used my stock manifold bolts and studs they have worked fine for me for close to a year. The biggest sound difference is sound which still isnt much, but it will make it deeper.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rock61992
id like to know more about these LTs, i havent heard of them yet, who sells them?
Summit Racing has them. I think they were $200 or $300.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I just got the e-bay shorties and they look nice. They have mild steel bolts. I was thinking about getting stainless of these too. Anybody else do this? If so where did you get the bolts?

Quick Reply: Shorty headers