Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Questions about Zex Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

Question Questions about Zex Kit

I am going to be getting a nice tax return soon and i want to get the ZEX-82307 kit from American Muscle..
I am new to nitrous so i wanna make sure i get everything i need, and maybe some add-ons that will help me use it properly.
My Mods are in sig, possibility of shorty headers if i dont spend too much on the Zex kit...
Also, will i have to get a new tune to use the nitrous

thanks
J
Old 02-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Reinforcements
1st Gear Member

i don't really know anything about nitrous, but you will definitely need a new tune
Old 02-17-2009, 04:13 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Hey, OP...when you are done with all this...will you post back a lessons learned etc about the whole process?

Alolot of guys are running N2O, but not a ton of threads. I would be interested in the whole buying process, the install, the tune...and ultimately what kind of before/after numbers you are getting...also, how may 75 shots per bottle (are you going 75 or 100?).

We have similar mods...and I cannot justify the FI expense...but spraying is a cheap option that I could move into now without the misses even noticing in the checkbook.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

i will try to get the most info i can and i will try to put it together in a nice little info packet..
BTW i will be running a 75 being that it is my daily driver
from what info i have gathered the install is fairly easy, i will attempt it
i have installed all my mods, with the exception of the gears and tloc
well i hope i get some good info from the N20 guys
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

I love mine. Enough said. Get the GT kit tho, much more power. Thats what i have.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the world of nitrous!
Be sure to get a pressure gauge and a bottle warmer. Bottle pressure is critical to performance and safety so you need to monitor it. DynoTune has great prices and products for a reasonable price.
You should run 1 step colder copper spark plugs. NGK TR6's are a popular option. Gap them between .030-.040. Start on the low end and open up until the spark is blown out when the nitrous hits - .036 works for me.
A window switch is cheap insurance for engine protection, especially with a manual trans.
A nitrous specific tune is the way to go for engine longevity and best performance. A 75 shot with 93 octane gas and an 87 tune should be safe but not ideal.
If you plan to run it at the track you'll need a blow down tube and also a fire jacket for the track as well. GForce has an outlet store that saved me $10 or $20 bucks off list.
You can review my Nitrous install pics/how-to here.
Oh, and the Pipes, Boost & Juice forum here is an excellent resource. Be sure to read the nitrous sticky!

Last edited by jimkaray; 02-17-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Awesome post Jim...thanks.

For a self install, what is expected price on everything you need (bottle warmer, pressure gauge etc)? Ballpark is fine.

I need to start looking at the kits...looks like there are allot of kits having quite a few different options. I guess this a dumb option, but is the Zex kit the best thing going?

I gotta tell you, I had no idea that 13.4 was realistic on my sixxer with a 100 shot...but it looks like it is. A full second drop would be incredible. That puts you sub what GTs are running even with tunes and CAIs. Not bad company.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Awesome post Jim...thanks.

For a self install, what is expected price on everything you need (bottle warmer, pressure gauge etc)? Ballpark is fine.

I need to start looking at the kits...looks like there are allot of kits having quite a few different options. I guess this a dumb option, but is the Zex kit the best thing going?

I gotta tell you, I had no idea that 13.4 was realistic on my sixxer with a 100 shot...but it looks like it is. A full second drop would be incredible. That puts you sub what GTs are running even with tunes and CAIs. Not bad company.
You should have no problem picking up a second on the 75 shot.
ZEX is a decent kit, probably not the best but good quality and not hard to install. They were the first to offer a complete kit for the S197's 'drive by wire' throttle set up so that helped build their popularity with this model.
Expect to spend around a grand depending on what you buy and from whom.
I was lucky to run that time as my clutch wasn't holding 2 of 3 earlier runs on the 1-2 shift. I backed it off a bit and ran that #. I plan to install a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch this spring. Then the crazy thought is with good air, a clean pass and DR's I could probably break in the 12's. Need to find a cheap pair of DR's though. Gotta love these motors!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:11 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

if i buy a kit for the GT will the fuel rail adapter work or do i have to buy a V6 one?
also i am debating weather i get the
Zex Kit ($539.00)
or
Dynotune Kit, bottle warmer, purge kit ($537.00).

Jim you made an excellent How-to, i will be using it
Also how long does the 10# bottle last....1/4 mile runs
locally at my race track it is around $5 a pound for N2O

Last edited by 4.0 $tang; 02-18-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4.0 $tang
if i buy a kit for the GT will the fuel rail adapter work or do i have to buy a V6 one?
also i am debating weather i get the
Zex Kit ($539.00)
or
Dynotune Kit, bottle warmer, purge kit ($537.00).

Jim you made an excellent How-to, i will be using it

i am going to buy all of my parts instead of making my own
No diff, I have the GT kit and everything is the same except the selection of jets that are included.
I haven't heard any complaints about the Dynotune kits, the two are probably similar in quality. ZEX customer serice sucks and Dynotunes frequents certain mustang forums and seem to be more customer focused.
I don't consider the purge a priority, more for the wow factor than performance in most situations. More inportant if you will be competing weekly and need absolute consistancy.
I saw a used Dynotune kit for sale in Jersey recently. I didn't see it here just now on a quick check. if you are willing to go with a used set up let me know and I'll check some other forums I vist and try to find it again.

Quick Reply: Questions about Zex Kit