Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Value in Tower Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Legion, not sure where you were going with that, but I don't see how you could even compare stock suspension. I have put springs, shocks, panhard and larger rims/tires and yes my ride is more harsh, but it handles 10x better than over stock.

That being said the suspension/handling isn't a go fast mod, its about sticking the car to the road.
Yeah I talked it over with some one and it looks like the pony package comes with the gt suspension and the v6 with a gutted setup that's engineered to function as well as a Toyota Camry.

Anyway you should try your setup against a Pony Package some time. I can also hook you up with using Dynolicious if you have the ipod or iphone to analyze your current setup.

Originally Posted by davidrc517
Thanks. I'll probably just do the sway then. Although, I think having a STB over your engine looks pretty bad ***.

Be careful with that espetially if you go with an aftermarket one the rear sway bar is very specific. you might end up wasting your money depending where you go with the suspention. For example if you get a v6 specific upgrade sway bar then go to GT parts that's going to throw things out the window for your cornering speed as it will probably be too stiff.

Last edited by Legion5; 02-27-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
davidrc517

I think FRPP has sway bars for sale. I'll go that route.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

frpp is by far the least effective big aftermarket brand. They are also actually the most overpriced. A sway bar kit will run $600 installed from them, and if you're lucky will increase your performance numbers by 2%. From almost any other brand a similar investment will increase your numbers by 15% and include dampers springs and sway bars.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM
davidrc517

Then what is THE best brand in terms of performance AND value for springs, dampers, and sway bars?
Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
and if you're lucky will increase your performance numbers by 2%. From almost any other brand a similar investment will increase your numbers by 15% and include dampers springs and sway bars.
A little biased against FRPP? Methinks there are more differences than just bars.

Norm
Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
tailwind

Default What Helps

I have added the Tower Brace, Rear Anti-Sway Bar, and Lower A-Arm Brace and of the three mods the rear anti-sway bar made the most noticeable difference. The other two braces can't help but strengthen things up and I am glad that I installed them but it was the rear bar that helped the handling the most.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:15 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

FRPP. Not good. Overpriced and the least performer.
Unless you bleed money and live in a house with
razorblade carpet.....

Originally Posted by Legion5
Yeah I talked it over with some one and it looks like the pony package comes with the gt suspension and the v6 with a gutted setup that's engineered to function as well as a Toyota Camry.

Be careful with that espetially if you go with an aftermarket one the rear sway bar is very specific. you might end up wasting your money depending where you go with the suspention. For example if you get a v6 specific upgrade sway bar then go to GT parts that's going to throw things out the window for your cornering speed as it will probably be too stiff.
The V6 has a 31.5mm front sway bar. And its not for cornering.
The PP has the same 31.5mm front sway and an 18mm rear sway.
How is this "the GT suspension" as the GT suspension has 34mm
front sway and a 20mm rear sway bar?

The GT takeoff front 34mm front sway and the 20mm rear sway
are available on the eBay for cheaper than nothing and match
up perfectly to the rear V6 springs (same as a GT) and the front
springs (GTs are stifer because of the V8 engine weight).
Along with some quality Poly bushings for the front and rear
GT takeoff sway bars, the difference is night and day from the
stock V6 sans rear sway bar. Add some lowering springs and
shocks for the rear and its even better than stock. Polys on
the panhard bar are also needed for swinging the tail out
with any predictability.
Get rid of the too tall 16 stock rims and get some 18s with l
ow profile tires and its track day, baby!
Attached Thumbnails Value in Tower Strut Brace-18s.jpg   Value in Tower Strut Brace-prothane.jpg   Value in Tower Strut Brace-springsshocks.jpg   Value in Tower Strut Brace-pvmt_etr.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 02-28-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
A little biased against FRPP? Methinks there are more differences than just bars.

Norm
True, but most of the things FRPP is good at aren't made by FRPP, for example their springs are made by Eibach and their superchargers by Whipple.

Then what is THE best brand in terms of performance AND value for springs, dampers, and sway bars?
that depends what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Often times the best results are gotten from mixing several brands together.

So answer those questions and I can give you an idea.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 157db
snip
I see, so the pony package adds a complete suspension setup unique to itself and very slightly softer than the GT. What about the struts and springs on the PP, are they GT or unique? I'm not really familiar with the v6 stock suspension. I'm running Eibach R1 race suspension and adjustable sway bars, which is my 3rd suspension system i've installed on a Mustang.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:39 PM
davidrc517

Another related question: You know when you're going pretty fast on a curved road and you hit a bump or a break in the highway, the whole car shakes and feels as if the tires are going to lose traction and you lose some control. I know it is due to the Mustang's live axle.

What is the best upgrade to counter that instability when going over bumps? Is it better springs, dampers, sways, control arm or what?

Quick Reply: Value in Tower Strut Brace