Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going on an 18 hour drive in 6 days

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:51 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Going on an 18 hour drive in 6 days

My girlfriend and I are driving about 1100 miles to my girlfriends parents house for spring break (MN to NJ) then returning back home 10 days later. I'll be driving the first 5 or so hours, then she'll drive for another five or so, then I'll try and take the home stretch.

We are planning on getting as far as we can in one day, maybe even the whole way if we can.

I've got a checklist of things to do/things I've done...

Check tire pressure........ doing the day before
Check tire tread........ Done
Change oil......... Done
New Fuel Filter........ Installing Saturday
Clean Air Filter........ read below
Check fluid levels....... also Saturday
Wash car, clean, vacuum car...... Monday/Tuesday

What else should I do to prepare for the long drive? This will be our first road trip.

Can our Cars and our Cars Engines handle running for 10+ hours with little stopping time (just bathroom breaks, gas, and maybe food)???

Also how do I clean my K&N Air filter?
I've heard I need to buy a recharge kit for like 10 bucks or something, is that how I clean it up? I installed the filter about 8-9K miles ago so its time to clean it.
My MPG has been subpar lately so that's why I got the Fuel Filter and why I need to clean the K&N.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:05 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I drive 16 hours usually non stop to visit my parents once a year. The car can handle it fine, as long as you have taken care of it.

Being up north you need to have: flashlight, blanket, matches, first aid kit, and make sure you have a cell phone charger you can use in your car. When traveling in the winter you want to make sure you have those things in case you get stuck.

Also check your spare, and jack, and also let your friends/family know your route, departure time and estimated arrival time in case you go missing.

Map would be helpful too
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

It's a straight shot the whole way there.......... I-90! So the route is pretty easy :P

And I forgot about checking the spare! Thanks for reminding me
Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

damn u and ur girlfriend switch off?!?! i wish my wife would do some driveing on long trips. but i can drive a good 12 hours straight, as long as i have sum tunes and snacks i'm good. granted the mustang isnt the best thing to be traveling in for long periods of cuz the seats dont have that much give in them. but make sure u put it in cruise contol and enjoy the ride. and a little bit of R/H never hurt anyone either. i suggest packing a few bags of sunflower seed while ur at it, helps u keep awake. a lil trick i learned while driving line haul mission in iraq.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

p.s. there is nothing more boring than long straight shots of highway, i.e. I-10 in texas. i mean come on i never been to a state where u drive for 10 hours in one direction and ur still in the same freak'n state!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by cvz_finezt
p.s. there is nothing more boring than long straight shots of highway, i.e. I-10 in texas. i mean come on i never been to a state where u drive for 10 hours in one direction and ur still in the same freak'n state!!!

+1

Texas is the longest state to drive through ever!

Fun Fact: To drive from Texarkana, Tx to El Paso, Tx is about 816 miles give yourself about 12 hours!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Yikes thats a long time haha!

Hey I just bought a K&N Recharge kit... is that what I need to clean my filter up?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Can our Cars and our Cars Engines handle running for 10+ hours with little stopping time (just bathroom breaks, gas, and maybe food)???
[B]
I drove from Kansas City to Boston on my own in one 24 hour shot, with only 15-20 minute stops for pee breaks and a couple power naps. This is in a blown 4.0 with 3.73 gears. No issues at all.

I've also made the trip several times in both directions at a more leisurely pace, with a motel stop enroute

These cars can definitely deal with life on the open road...

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 03-05-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Yep, and I plan to prove that point. My wife and I are going to travel the entire length of historic route 66 sometime this year or next

Maybe I will stop and see those crazy californian people on these forums
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

^ you mean like me??? lol

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I drove from Kansas City to Boston on my own in one 24 hour shot, with only 15-20 minute stops for pee breaks and a couple power naps. This is in a blown 4.0 with 3.73 gears. No issues at all.

I've also made the trip several times in both directions at a more leisurely pace, with a motel stop enroute

These cars can definitely deal with life on the open road...

^+1 on the power naps

Quick Reply: Going on an 18 hour drive in 6 days