Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Vortech Owners - DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Default Vortech Owners - DIY?

I have been watching closely and the Vortech tuner kits have been creeping down and down.

I asked my local Mustang tuner if they could match any online price, and they told me "no problem". So, the kit is now down to $2500...which is hard to beat.

A few questions for the V-2 owners:

What injectors did you go with and why? Is there an obvious choice here?

WRT gauges...my wife likes the car as is (I know, it is my car...but she is in it at least 2x weekly now). So, is there any real reason I cannot run sans gauges?

I do all my own wrenching (for the most part) especially on bikes. I have good tools, a nice garage and a 11 yo helper. Is this a truly DIY install? The local tuner told me $550 for the install...which seems fair, but I generally take things apart for the heck of it...so I WANT to know how this things works. For your general mid-IQ wrencher/driver...how many hours am I looking at?

I already shot an email to Doug to talk about tunes. I want to run his tunes and datalog with my local guy on the dyno. So I think I have that covered.

Any other info I am missing? I assume most of the V-2 guys are happy. I know I will never be int he X crowd...but the bang for the buck with the V-2 is hard to beat. I was just to drop the hammer on a spray kit...and just realized if I bucked up I could get what I really want.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

You'll want to go with 39lb injectors for that kit. Its doable at home, its not a difficult kit to install. I personally would get a Dyno tune for it. If Doug does not have a tune for it he can send you, I know Justin at VMP does.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

$2500?... wow!... very attractive price. i don't blame you for jumping on it. i'm sure mamba may comment here since he had a vortech on his old stang. however, his experience was not a positive one as he has mentioned numerous times.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Nice price. Is that for the non-intercooled kit? Most likely is.

The base tuner kit is what I went with, then got FRPP 39# (same as 42#) injectors. The tuner kit just leaves out the injectors and tuner device, all other stuff is in there. I put on a different pulley and built the air-air intercooler, but you can do that later.

You can do the install yourself. It is quite easy. You'll have to put in the injectors, but they're not hard. And simply bolt on the supercharger and dont forget the belt!

If it's a V2, take your time with the 'oil pan' tap. It's not hard, just keep the drill bit packed with grease and clean it out every so often, and make sure the drilled-out piece does not fall in. An angle-head drill helps for drilling. Be sure to drain/replace your oil when you get your fittings all connected.

I'd strongly recommend getting different spark plugs, too; check with your tuner. I'm running NGK TR6's; they are 1 temp range cooler, and I gap them at .035.

It's really quite an easy install: relocate power steering, install injectors, install supercharger. And plugs. If you were closer I'd help.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I read in one of my magazines that Vortech is/has come out with a roots style supercharger. Called the Vortech VL

Here is info at Sema about it:
http://video.streetlegaltv.com/video...l.php?mId=7505
Old 03-06-2009, 10:08 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I read in one of my magazines that Vortech is/has come out with a roots style supercharger. Called the Vortech VL

Here is info at Sema about it:
http://video.streetlegaltv.com/video...l.php?mId=7505
That may explain their recent price drop.

However, I think this is the route for me. My wife gave me the nod, so now mainly it is just a matter of getting everything lined up and try to get the install done without impacting work.

Hey TX...what about the gauges. Am I an idiot for running without them?

Thanks for the tips guys...I will call the local tuner on Monday and discuss the injectors and may talk to them a bit more about installation. I know they have been slow, slow slow as of late...so there may be a bit more they can do on the install.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:42 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

You can get that nice clean setup in the center of your dash for the gauges, I've seen a few of them turn out looking really clean with those center gauges.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:40 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

where did u fine the vortech for that price? put up the link please.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:08 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cvz_finezt
where did u fine the vortech for that price? put up the link please.
Lethal Performance has them for $2700 now. I called around (Vortech has a "Top Tier" program)...sort of a certified installer/retailer program and all of them could meet or beat that price. I didnt really even try to get a "bargain" and may give it a go. I know business in aftermarket has to be really hurting right now...so it may be a good chance to get a smoking deal.

We have a local shop that would knock another 5% off, so it is a pretty good deal IMO. However, I think MSRP is only $2900??? So, it isnt a crazy discount...I may be wrong on the MSRP, I just recall seeing that someplace.

If you have a tuner already, this kit seems to be a no brainer. Per TX, all we should need is the injectors. My local dealer had them for $165 for a set.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Illin what about gauges? You should have a wideband and fuel pressure gauge; where you mount it and what type you get is up to you.
So, you got it in yet

Quick Reply: Vortech Owners - DIY?