Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bama 93 race tune & auto tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:33 AM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Bama 93 race tune & auto tranny problem?

Hey guys...

This goes out to anyone running a Bama race tune on their automatic V6 Stangs. Firstly, I love the tune. It is awesome, but I'm experiencing something strange that did not happen with the Brenspeed 93 tune that I was running before. When on the highway, just cruising at say 75-85, with light, even pressure on the gas pedal, my RPMs tend to go from 2200 to 2500 RPM every 15-20 seconds and then back down again. I mean, with no input from me at steady highway speed, the auto tranny/engine moves up and down in RPMs by about 200-300 RPM. Not like it is getting out of the OD and back down to 4th or anything. More like converted locking and unlocking every 20 seconds or so. Or maybe a transmission proportional valve??? Anyone else has experienced this?? I e-mail Doug, and still waiting for input. Any suggestions from the forum members on this weird effect?? Thanks !
Old 03-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i have not experienced this myself personally (running 91 race). curious to hear doug's response.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
i have not experienced this myself personally (running 91 race). curious to hear doug's response.
Me too... Still waiting... For the time being, went back to Brenspeed 93. No problems with that one for sure... Don't want to screw up my tranny if this continues, as I mostly drive highway. So at 80mph, this happens a lot..... I'll see what Doug says. Will let you know..
Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Let me ask you this.... Is your Bama 91 race tune locked on your programmer? Can you make any adjustments to the tune??? I cannot. Only program it the way it is. Does not even give me an option to change any parameters... My Brenspeed 93 allows for some changes. This bites.... Switched back to my previous 93 tune. Waiting to hear from Bama guys to see what should be done.... Not a happy camper right about now...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Load the Bama, get up to speed and put the cruise on and see if it stays locked up. This may tell Doug that the baseline pressures he has been using are not working for your car.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccdguy
Let me ask you this.... Is your Bama 91 race tune locked on your programmer? Can you make any adjustments to the tune??? I cannot. Only program it the way it is. Does not even give me an option to change any parameters... My Brenspeed 93 allows for some changes. This bites.... Switched back to my previous 93 tune. Waiting to hear from Bama guys to see what should be done.... Not a happy camper right about now...
i do have the option to change parameters. can't tell you how many items i can change but i did change the gear ratio myself on doug's tune after my gear install. i'm using a predator in case it matters any.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:14 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Just FYI Sancho, DOug's tunes are different for gear swaps. He modifies the shift points and pressures to better match the gear ratio. There is allot more to it than just madding the axle ration (which I can do too on my Predator).

OP...on the Predator with Doug's tunes, we can control all the typical items...ie idle speed, **** speed in MPH, fan control, axle ratio, spark advance etc etc.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Just FYI Sancho, DOug's tunes are different for gear swaps. He modifies the shift points and pressures to better match the gear ratio. There is allot more to it than just madding the axle ration (which I can do too on my Predator).

OP...on the Predator with Doug's tunes, we can control all the typical items...ie idle speed, **** speed in MPH, fan control, axle ratio, spark advance etc etc.
that initially crossed my mind but i kinda ignored it after i adjusted the ratio through the predator myself. i guess i'll be hitting doug up for upgraded tunes today. thanks much for the heads up.

will it be a noticeable difference or very subtle?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:38 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

that initially crossed my mind but i kinda ignored it after i adjusted the ratio through the predator myself. i guess i'll be hitting doug up for upgraded tunes today. thanks much for the heads up.

will it be a noticeable difference or very subtle?

I noticed a difference with the 3.73 tailored tune. I also have control over idle and neutral rpms, speed limiter, shift pressure for WOT and normal driving, and timing.. among other things.

I have the 93 Race tune.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

There was recently a post quoting doug on how he changed tunes for gear changes. Don't remember if he said it would be very noticeable but he did say that he did it for free and that you should change tune with gear change.

Quick Reply: Bama 93 race tune & auto tranny problem?