Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Would you buy a ex rental stang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Mac8008

Default Would you buy a ex rental stang?

My story: I'll be in the market for a used v6 05+ stang with 12k to spend. I've noticed the prices are really cheap out there for the 6 shooters primarily because the market is flooded with fleet cars. I bet most of these are retired rental cars.

My question: Would you purchase a fleet car that was otherwise in good condition?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've heard quite a bit of stories about people requesting Mustang rentals so the can have some fun and run them hard!! You can view some on Youtube too. I would be leary of purchasing a Mustang rental, just my honest opinion.

Originally Posted by Mac8008
My story: I'll be in the market for a used v6 05+ stang with 12k to spend. I've noticed the prices are really cheap out there for the 6 shooters primarily because the market is flooded with fleet cars. I bet most of these are retired rental cars.

My question: Would you purchase a fleet car that was otherwise in good condition?
Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
GONEN6T

Default rental

I would....I worked at Enterprise RAC years ago....only the best cars we sold direct, others wholesaled......a lot of time you can ask for records...

only buy from the major ones not off brands....

with a Carfax and Oasis you can get a lot of bad history any way.........

6 cyl cars prob not run hard anyway...........

they flip the cars before miles rack up too.......
Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

I would be leery of what you buy. Test drive it first.

I worked at E-RAC for over a year while in college (stopped working there this past year), and it was a bunch of college kids, so you can imagine. We didn't do anything too extreme, just drove the cars hard a lot of times. Spinning tires, drifting (as best as that would work lol; basically just a bunch of pulling the e-brake and turning sideways), donuts, a lot of WOT, etc. Don't think it was just because of college kids. Mid-aged people at the other rental car companies around us did stuff like this too.

That being said, the cars were well maintained. Anything that was thought to be wrong would be sent to get looked at. Oil was always changed on schedule, tires rotated, etc.

So to answer your question, yes, I guess I would purchase a fleet car if I had to. I would just be damn sure to check it out, drive it, and inspect it first.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Heck no.
With all the other non-rental used stangs?
Search YouTube and see the stang rental burnout abuse vids.
Now if the rentals had the market all sewn up, maybe, maybe.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

No.

I rented a 2006 V6 Convertible from Enterprise my last trip and it was junk. The auto transmission was tired and the gears were making noise.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I got mine and I found out later that it was a rental... it surprised me but mine is in great condition really. The only thing I noticed when I got the stang was a small stain in the back seat but it was hardly noticeable. The tires looked new when i got the car, the engine was sparkly clean, overall it's a great car and I'm very happy with it. Get a carfax and test drive it.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Sublime00
1st Gear Member

Same; got my 2007 V6 from a used-dealer; got him down to a great price. Found an Enterprise invoice in the glove compartment (Sloppy...) But before it left the lot, it was inspected front to back, underneath looking for welds or damage, and test-driven for abnormalities. Carfax was Ok. It still had its factory warranty, which was piece of mind, and I got all the TSB's taken care of by my regular Ford dealer free. 6 months, no issues.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Mac8008

thanks so much for the opinions and info, guys. It seems like fleet cars are not an automatic deterrent on a possible purchase. Just warrant a closer inspection. Just because it was a rental doesn't necessarily mean it was abused. In fact, you can rest assured it had a good service history. Besides it's not like these cars fall apart from a night or two of hard driving.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

there's an old saying " drive it like a rental" do a car fax it will show you its history. there a people who rent cars to have some fun in it.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a ex rental stang?