Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

'Stang in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:34 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

I drove mine throughout all of the Minnesota Winter this past winter. It drives fine through it as long as you know what your doing. Just take the corners REALLY SLOW other wise your going to do some donuts! :P Mine didn't get stuck at all, even in some pretty deep stuff, it surprised me actually.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
JimC

I have driven mine through three winters now. No problems at all, and I have had commutes anywhere from 65 to 45 miles one way during this time. Drove through some big snow storms - 8"+ with no problem.

Just because it is rear wheel drive doesn't mean you can't drive it in the snow. When I got my license in 1969 front wheel drive cars were rare. We didn't just sit home all winter
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Its fine in the snow as long as your not going up steep hills. If you end up having to go up a hill just remember to drive it like you stole it. I live in the mountains and have to climb a steep hill right around the corner from my house.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 AM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

No traction in rear, so drifting is a go...
I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:54 PM
06Eleanor

Exclamation

daily driver, Canadian winters, Michelin X-Ice 2, no problems

never got stuck once, it handled everything great with the X Ice 2's, i would definately recommend them.

before i had the winter tires on i had to back my car out into the snowy driveway for a minute and the thing would not even move with the stock pirelli all seasons, huuuge difference with michelins, just have to drive slow and careful with a light foot
Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pittstanger
First Mustang ('o8 4.0 V6). Wondered how they handle in the winter/snow. Not talking about plowing through 6-12" of the stuff, just in general. Mine is a daily driver. Don't have the resources or the funds for a second winter car.
I do have the traction control. Studded snow tires recommended?
Thanks.

Bottom line is these babies have too much power to handle well in the snow! Every time I'd try to give mine just a little bit of gas, I'd be sliding all over the place. LOL! Won't be bringing mine up to the mountain for ski season any time soon
Old 05-03-2009, 08:51 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by basketballord
+1, weight in the back made a noticeable difference for me.

OP, Blizzaks for snow tires will help more than anything. They are supposedly the best of the best. I have never driven anything BUT RWD, so I am not the best person to ask, so compared to '60's and '70's RWDs, the stang handles snow like a pro lol!
I have Blizzak Revo's on steel rims. $700 mounted and delivered from Tire Rack. They go on right aftere Thanksgiving here in Buffalo and I have no problems. Ice, snow, slop, etc., thay are fantastic. Having them on separate rims keeps the winter crap off the good rims too.

I havent had to try the extra weight in the trunk, but alot of people on the forum says it helps, so who am I to argue.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM
S D Unger

Default Snow Driving

I've had my mustang since Halloween 2006. That makes it two full winters. Every Friday after Thanksgiving I change over to mastercraft snow tires and they stay on the car until the last week in March. I also put 2 - 50# bags of play sand in the trunk for that duration. The snow tires are on a set of rims that do not have the tire pressure sensors so I must hit the reset button every time I start the car. Since I have driven Front Wheel drive vehicles for the previous twenty years I had to remember the tricks of driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow. The mustang holds the road as long as I use the "drive like there is an egg on the gas pedal rule". The hills around Pittsburgh can be a test but so far I have gotten to and from work without a problem.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:59 PM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

I use blizzacks in the winter and the car drives fine. The few times I put something heavy in the trunk I could feel an improvement in acceleration traction, so I may put some weight in next year.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

i love living in florida

Quick Reply: 'Stang in the snow...