Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone repainted their stock rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:54 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default Anyone repainted their stock rockers?

Mine seem to have faded over time. They're a few shades lighter than the mirrors, grills, and that area in front of the windshield. I've seen brand new V6 Stands at the dealership and they seem to match those parts exactly. I'm guessing that's a result of the sun, but it's odd how those other areas didn't fade... just the rocker covers. So I'm thinking about maybe spray painting them or something. Has anyone had their rockers fade and repainted them? I'm a bit scared to do it, and I'll probably wait until I get a black CDC chin so that I can match it to that. I'm partly afraid that they'll come out too dark or they won't match the other black parts of the car.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 AM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

This is all you need, wipe em down with this stuff and they'll be black as new, same for everything else plastic on the outside of the car.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...NIfhtgfnyNj9CQ
Old 03-28-2009, 04:17 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicmetalicS197
This is all you need, wipe em down with this stuff and they'll be black as new, same for everything else plastic on the outside of the car.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...NIfhtgfnyNj9CQ
Pfft... I use that on a regular basis. Doesn't do anything to make them look darker.

I've also used Back to Black and while it gives them a more glossy look, it doesn't really make them any darker either.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 AM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

i have had my car for 4 years now, and the black trim is looking a bit faded too. i want to replace it w/ the GT rockers but i cant find any in redfire any more. and i'm no paint expert either. but since it is textured. i say clean it up, primer it, and put on a few light coats of paint. if u want to keep them black, i think u can do it ur self but just take them off the car b4 u paint. at least this way u wont mess up ur paint job and u'll get a more smoother even finish. thats what i plan on doing when i get my Cali special front and rear. but thts gonna have to wait til i move up to sacramento. gotta get settled in a lil bit from the move from texas.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:22 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i vote - just take em off and be done with them... I have my stock rockers collecting dust in the shop if anyone is interested
Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default V6 rockers are different from GT's

If you look very close at stock V6 rockers and stock GTs, you'll see that the V6's are textured, the GT's are smooth surface. V6s are very hard to paint because of the textured surface. I just bought new GT rockers and had them painted to match my body color and they came out beautiful. Paint shop highly advises not to paint the V6s but that is a chance the owner takes. It cost me $233 to have both GTs painted so maybe think twice before painting V6s. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Anyone repainted their stock rockers?-122_2215.jpg  
Old 03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwilhelm
If you look very close at stock V6 rockers and stock GTs, you'll see that the V6's are textured, the GT's are smooth surface. V6s are very hard to paint because of the textured surface. I just bought new GT rockers and had them painted to match my body color and they came out beautiful. Paint shop highly advises not to paint the V6s but that is a chance the owner takes. It cost me $233 to have both GTs painted so maybe think twice before painting V6s. Jack
I would never paint my stock rockers tungsten grey if that's what you mean. I want them to stay black. I actually had GT take-offs that were grey but I changed my mind about getting the GT front and rear so I went back to the black ones and sold off the grey ones.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Good to see you back on line Victoria, hope the move to California went well, Jack.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

Just a note, if you are planning on spraying either
stock textured or GT rockers, make sure you prep,
i.e. remove any silicone based wax/polish from the
plastic or you'll have adhesion problems with any
paint. There are silicone/wax prep solvents available
at any bodyshop supply outlet. They do make "flex
additive" for paint, also, that will keep the paint
from cracking on flexible or plastic parts also. Painting
plastic can be tricky, but if done properly, will last
awhile.
Bob
Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

how bout using a flat black paint? something along the lines of black engine paint. the stocker rockers have that raw look to them anyways.

Quick Reply: Anyone repainted their stock rockers?