Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Review of Roush Hood Scoop Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default Review of Roush Hood Scoop Installation

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to these forums in particular. I own a 2008 V6, Dark Candy Apple Red and I am just now starting to add some upgrades.

Yesterday I installed the Roush Hood Scoop to my ride and wanted to write a review of the process for anyone who is considering doing the same. I'll try to include as many helpful hints and information as I can recall.

The key to installing this piece is preparation, preparation, preparation. When I received mine in the mail, it came direct from Roush's factory even though I ordered from another website. Roush did forget to include a complete set of installation instructions. Thankfully though they have a very detailed PDF file for download on their website that covers the entire prep and installation process. Download it and print it out just in case. I doubt this happens often, but just FYI for anyone who winds up in a similar situation.

Overall it is a very straight forward install. They provide a great template that makes it incredibly easy to get everything lined up perfectly. Two things to note about the template.

1) The template centers itself on your windshield washer dispensers, located on your hood. It would be nice if Roush perforated those spots on the template for easy removal. I had to use a razor blade and carefully cut those two spots out so the template would sit perfectly on my hood. An exacto knife will work great too if you have one.

2) The template is big and comes folded up. Be very careful with the creases in the paper. You MUST get those creases smoothed out so your holes line up perfectly. This is where tape comes in and pulling the template tight on your car.

Suggestion: If you're not installing same day, it would be helpful to pull the template out, unfold it, and then hang it up so the creases can naturally work themselves out.

Making the holes with the center punch is a piece of cake, even for novices. It's the drilling into your hood that really F's with your nerves.

My recommendation to anyone new to this sort of work is to drill SLOWLY, even with the holes created by the center punch. Get your drill situated firmly into the center punched holes and begin.

Roush made one minor change to the installation parts. The M6 Hex Flange Nuts (quantity 3) are shown in the instructions as having threads. The actual M6 Hex Flange Nuts sent do not. They have grooves that cut into the plastic as you twist them on and hold the piece firmly in place. Once you get them started you can simply use a wrench to tighten them up. Just FYI for any of you who are sticklers for correctly identifying pieces prior to installation.

Now, there is a good 1/2" wiggle room on both sides of the scoop just in case you do screw up when making your holes. It's very unlikely that will happen if you triple check your alignment of the template though.

The hood scoop screws line up perfectly with the holes drilled. It helps to have two people when trying to line up the hood scoop with the holes in the hood as you set the hood scoop down onto the hood and the screws slide into the holes. Two people on the job makes it easier to avoid scratches on your hood as you drop one screw into one hole. While you're doing that, your buddy can be on the other side and drop in the equivalent screw on his side. Just makes the alignment process easier IMO.

Overall, this piece definitely makes a fantastic first upgrade to any mustang. I've always been a HUGE fan of the hood scoop on mustangs. Just in the last day I've had so many people turn their heads and scope out my ride when driving down the road! I don't look like "every other mustang" in the area now and I love that.

The hood scoop looks big and muscular when you're sitting behind the drivers wheel and standing in front of your car. I've had my pony for 1 year now and I literally feel like I'm driving a brand new car! It really adds to the fun and renews the experience of driving your baby. Looking at your car from the side it just looks killer on there Seeing the hood scoop from the side Vs from the front and drivers seat is definitely different.

Overall, I highly recommend this piece to anyone! Again, installing this piece is all about patience and preparation. Smooth out your template. Triple check it. Make your center hole punches deep. Drill slowly. Enjoy!!

If you're not up to drilling into your own hood, you can either have a shop install it, or I have seen some hood scoops that are held on with that crazy strong adhesive tape. Lots of options out there for you.

I'll post up some pics in the coming months when I have some more upgrades made.

Next week I'm installing the C&L Cold Air Intake. I'll write a review of that experience too for anyone who is interested, and will give my perception of the horse power increase it delivers.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who read this
Old 04-13-2009, 03:52 AM
08StangV6
1st Gear Member

good info
Old 04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

Wow, great info. Definitely need to post some pics up.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:27 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

man, im glad i didnt know all of those steps when I installed my roush hood scoop 2 years ago... I would have messed up for sure!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

You left out the part about the 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter
and the use of an 135 degree metal bit, not the common
118 degree wood bit that screws thru the aluminum hood
instead of drilling it.

But its a good start....

Last edited by 157dB; 04-13-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

lets see some pics of the job!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Must8ng
1st Gear Member

I want one now Pictures would be great
Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
gtguyonli
2nd Gear Member

Good job on the write up, I have to say it was one of my easier mods on my car.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Yes, this is my first mod and it was pretty easy to do. I'll get some pics up probably by next weekend. That's when I'm installing a C&L Cold Air Intake
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
You left out the part about the 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter
and the use of an 135 degree metal bit, not the common
118 degree wood bit that screws thru the aluminum hood
instead of drilling it.

But its a good start....
You're right. I also forgot about how I had to freeze each screw to - 500 degrees Fahrenheit prior to installation.

Quick Reply: Review of Roush Hood Scoop Installation