Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

kind of bummed , need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Default kind of bummed , need ideas

Let me see where to start, hmmmmmmm ........ I'll start from the beginning, When i was 16 in october my parents bought me my mustang. since then until they pay it off this christmas all mods must be approved by them. It seems that they only let me get appearance stuff, no go mods.

Now this part is my fault, i ordered a pair of gt take off mufflers with out asking, so now they came in today and my dad won't let me put them on.

ok this is where you come in. I'll keep trying to talk him into it, any thing i can say to help out ? or should i return them and buy them later? do you think they will still be available? or should i save them?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Just keep the mufflers. Xmas will be here in no time.

Tell your dad that you're sorry you didn't ask first.

Later if he's in a good mood, see if he'll let you swap just one of them on the car. Only takes about 15-20 minutes.

You'll pick up like 2 miles per gallon with even just the one muffler.

I got a pair for my buddy, and we just put on the one for now. He's already getting better mileage.

I picked up 2mpg when I put on my FRPP duals too.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 PM
rettgoings
2nd Gear Member

option 1) put them on and see if they actually notice. my parents know squat about exhausts.they probably wouldn't even notice if you got a CAI and tune.

option 2) being apologetic is key

print out a bunch of information on actual hp increase with mufflers (which is little to none) and act professional
Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Must8ng
1st Gear Member

You'll be glad you saved them. The gt takeoff's sound really nice. You could mention that its a very easy switch (loosing a few bolts) and that it won't void any warranty's either
Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 AM
fender12
1st Gear Member

Yea it really doesnt do anything except sound and looks a little better. I wouldnt even consider it a performance just a sound enhancement. Its not bad sounding or super loud so its only an improvement on what you already have. But ask him to do it with you it may make him more open to the idea because if I want something done to my car I have the same problem he says no but as soon as Im like, well why don't we do it together, he gets more and more open to it. Also just be like I can put it on and if we don't like it just take it off. Its going to pop at first if you rev it but just driving it never does it so i suggest not revving until its broke in if you think that will make him not like it. good luck
Old 05-31-2009, 01:32 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Tell him you're sorry and just assumed it was ok because it isn't really a "go" mod, just better gas economy and sound, and that even that can wait until christmas if he really wants it to.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 AM
SCGirl
1st Gear Member

just wait..its not a big deal..only 6 months, and you know how it flies by!!! In the meantime, keep looking into mods you wanna do when the time comes. That'll help the time go by quicker...they were nice enough to buy you a darn nice car, respect their wishes! LOL
Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i say, be thankful your parents are soo cool they bought you a mustang, and are buying your mods to make it look better.

when i was a teenager, i had to buy every car i have ever had. my first car was a 1985 dodge aries.... yeah, the absolute definition of cool...

quit bit@hing, and be a grateful child.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 PM
The Razor
1st Gear Member

I say ask your parents if you can keep the exhaust, but you can't put them on until they let you. That way, part of your consequence would be that you would have to look at them everyday unmounted to your car.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
i say, be thankful your parents are soo cool they bought you a mustang, and are buying your mods to make it look better.

when i was a teenager, i had to buy every car i have ever had. my first car was a 1985 dodge aries.... yeah, the absolute definition of cool...

quit bit@hing, and be a grateful child.
He's not bitching, he admitted that its his fault and just wants advice on the best way to deal with it.

By the way, OP, don't "keep trying to talk him into it", it'll just annoy him and make things worse. Maybe try once but drop it after that.

Quick Reply: kind of bummed , need ideas