Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

!!!!Need Help!!! Head Gasket 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Thedeer2

Default !!!!Need Help!!! Head Gasket 4.0L

Out of nowhere I had my coolant blow out of my reservoir. Took it to the dealer and they said the the headgasket is broke, or I could have a cracked block that is allowing exhaust gases to enter my cooling system and over pressurizing the system to the point that it blows off.

They gave me three options.

1. Bite the bullet up front and put in a new motor with a 3yr/100mi. warranty. Most Expensive Option $5100 installed

2. Used Motor with a chance of this reoccurring and no warranty. 2nd most expensive.

3. Tear the motor down to the heads and have it possibly be just the head gasket. But I run the risk of it being more than the gasket itself, and having the problem snowball into my worst nightmare. and become really $$$$$

I have seen a few other posts where people have had the same problem. The car never once overheated. and has about 60k miles.
For those that have had this happen was it only the head gasket? or did it also wreck the heads?

Anybody know what choice I should make? or have any advice?

Thanks alot
Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

This is the first head gasket issue that I have heard of. Hope this isn't going to become a pattern. What kind of mods have you done?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Thedeer2

The car is as stock as they come.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

That sounds horrible, I would also get quotes from reputable local engine shops as they may be able to provide the same quality of service as the dealer but at a lower price.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Did they perform a compression test to see which cylinder is affected? Although I haven't heard of a stock 4.0L blowing a head gasket, that could be the cause, and the repair wouldn't be as expensive as a new/used motor. In terms of "internet diagnostics", from what you've typed I doubt that it's a cracked block.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM
JimC

I had the same thing happen last summer on my car - pre nitrous (CAI and tune, and quite a bit of track time). Only a head gasket replacement, no other damage to anything and I was around 80,000 miles at the time.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

With no up coming symptoms it sounds kinda weird. Hopefully is it just a head gasket, I would recomend checking out that first. Two things will happen, it will either be the head gasket and you replace it, or it could be worse. If it is worse than you already have the motor partly torn down and easier to continue further.

As "theblackstang" said, check with a local engine shop. Most times you can get service the same or better quality from guys that work with engines everyday. And they probably won't be as pricey.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Thedeer2

Replaced the motor with Brand New and still have coolant spewing out the reservoir cap
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 AM
SixN2

Have you tried replacing the reservior cap?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by SixN2
Have you tried replacing the reservior cap?
$5100 later and it was just a bad coolant cap.

Quick Reply: !!!!Need Help!!! Head Gasket 4.0L