Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Help! Car Sputtering!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM
zombiehouse

Default Need Help! Car Sputtering!

Ok, a little background first. I have an 05 V6 Vert. The only mod on it right now is a Magnaflow dual catback exhaust.

I have been having a big problem with the car sputtering and struggling for power for a while now. The problem happens after the car has warmed up and I try to take off from a stop or gain speed on the freeway. When it is cold the car runs fine. The problem can start after just a few miles sometimes longer. One night as I got onto the freeway after just 2 miles of driving the engine seemed like it was going to die and the CEL came on for all of 20 seconds then went off. It hasn't come on before or since.

I have replaced the fuel filter, removed my Airaid CAI and reinstalled the stock airbox, changed the plugs to E3's, and changed the oil. I have also cleaned the MAF and throttlebody. The battery was disconnected for a couple of hours during the work. I have driven the car almost 300 miles since then.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try next? I am a teacher and off for the summer so I have very limited funds to make it for the next couple of months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

How many miles do you have on the car? Had you done any other work to it? How about fuel? Have you changed gas stations? Do you have the water leak issue? Your issues can be a number of things from fuel to igntion to corroded contacts at the SJB.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM
zombiehouse

41K miles on the car. No water leak issue. I have tried Chevron, 76 and Shell gas with the same results. No other work done to it.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Since the CEL came on ,did you check for codes ?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Powertrain warranty goes up to about 60k miles so i'd take it to a dealership and have them take a look. I was having a very similar sputtering issue and the dealership fixed it for free because the only problem was that my drivers side exhaust pipe right behind the cats wasn't hanging properly and causing a bunch of stupid vibrations.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:23 PM
zombiehouse

From everything I have read the warranty on the powertrain was only 3 years or 36K miles.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
zombiehouse

I don't have any way to check for codes.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zombiehouse
From everything I have read the warranty on the powertrain was only 3 years or 36K miles.
You're right, i messed that one up bad. I think i was thinking about the extended warranty or something else...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 AM
zombiehouse

Staggolee, how did the vibrations in your exhaust cause the problem? Was it causing some kind of exhaust leak?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:48 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

when i first did my E3 plugs I had a hair crack in one of the plugs and it would do the same thing so i got a new one and hasn't done it since

Quick Reply: Need Help! Car Sputtering!