Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bent Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 AM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

Default Bent Panhard Bar

Its exactly what the title says. i had a minor accident almost 2 years ago now, aparently the force from the crash slightly bent the panhard bar, i didnt notice this till yesterday when i got under the rear of the car. it doesnt look too bad, but im wondering what the possible negative side effects of this could be and should i look into buying a new one?

I drew this crude picture of what im talking about, i dont have access to a camera right now. yay for paint!
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...anhard-bar.jpg
Thanks everybody
Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

It has shortened and weakened it.
The rear end should be shifted ever so slightly
to the passengers side wheel well.
Get a new one From Ford dealership.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

A bent panhard bar will just throw out the alignment of your rear axel. Panhard bars are not expensive. If you have lowered your car, I would just look into getting like a BMR adjustable panhard bar (thats what I have). Easy to install and will be a minor upgrade also
Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Or get a used one from someone.
I have a stock one I'll sell you.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 AM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

Thanks everybody for the quick responses. im going to look into getting a new one or a old stock one.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If going with a stock OEM panhard replacement,
go the extra mile and get the poly bushings to
go with it.... You rear end will thank you for it...
Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM
The_Enforcer
1st Gear Member

157db
where can i get the poly bushings for the stock panhard bar?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by The_Enforcer
157db
where can i get the poly bushings for the stock panhard bar?
That stock bar list for $69 and the bushing would render you about the same price as an adjustable BMR (comes with poly bushings) and run about $150.

You want an adjustable panhard because those rear ends are off from the factory at least a 1/4 inch.
It's a factory flaw I guess and you really take notice of it when you have wheels flush with the body work like I do.

While 157db is not a bad advice, I think the real improvement would be to put that rear end assembly in the middle of the car...
Also, the BMR and alike bars are stronger than OEM, thus improve your cornering capabilities.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Wangstang

Originally Posted by pascal
That stock bar list for $69 and the bushing would render you about the same price as an adjustable BMR (comes with poly bushings) and run about $150.

You want an adjustable panhard because those rear ends are off from the factory at least a 1/4 inch.
It's a factory flaw I guess and you really take notice of it when you have wheels flush with the body work like I do.

While 157db is not a bad advice, I think the real improvement would be to put that rear end assembly in the middle of the car...
Also, the BMR and alike bars are stronger than OEM, thus improve your cornering capabilities.

Just to be clear, you shouldn't align your tires based on how they fit with in the fenders. What may appear to be a 1/4" off could be perfectly aligned. The alignment should be gauged off of the suspension components and their respective mounting points on the chassis.

Wes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by The_Enforcer
Thanks everybody for the quick responses. im going to look into getting a new one or a old stock one.
Edelbrock has a nice, adjustable bar for $115 from a couple places. It was very easy to adjust and easier to install. You'll spend more than that buying a stock bar and urethane bushings. If your car is lowered you need an adj track bar anyway. If you're going to lower it you'll need one. Even if you don't lower it you can get your rear end centered, and they look better. Autoanything has them so do other companies for $115 delvd.

Quick Reply: Bent Panhard Bar