Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual exhaust issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
kechke

Default Dual exhaust issue.

I moved this from another section, to a more V-6 specific discussion area.

My wifes 05 V-6 convertable has Eibach springs on it, I had the original single exhaust removed and replaced with a kit that has "Pypes" duals and GT mufflers. The axel hits the exhaust pipes that go over it when the car goes over a big bump.
Product support at Pypes says they were not installed correctly, my installer says they were.
Any one have any issues such as this?
Old 08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Pypes is notorious for slight to moderate fitment issues. I had a set of duals for my 00 v6 with similar clearance issues.

First think you need to do is look under the car and make sure the exhaust is sitting flush with the rest of the underside. by that I mean that the pipes are not hanging down low or look out of place.

I've found that Pypes typically need to have some of the exhaust tubing cut to fit correctly under the car.

The area to cut is usualy the area behind the X (towards the rear of the car)

My guess is the shop installed it the best they could and so the exhaust as it cross the rear axle looks like this <-----/ \-----> instead of like this <-----l l----->

That angling of the exhuast pipes tucks the exhaust under the car at the middle but brings it closer to the rear axle than if they went straight over where they would hang down towards the ground at the middle of the car.

Last edited by Derf00; 08-24-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
kechke

Originally Posted by Derf00
Pypes is notorious for slight to moderate fitment issues. I had a set of duals for my 00 v6 with similar clearance issues.

First think you need to do is look under the car and make sure the exhaust is sitting flush with the rest of the underside. by that I mean that the pipes are not hanging down low or look out of place.

I've found that Pypes typically need to have some of the exhaust tubing cut to fit correctly under the car.

The area to cut is usualy the area behind the X (towards the rear of the car)

My guess is the shop installed it the best they could and so the exhaust as it cross the rear axle looks like this <-----/ \-----> instead of like this <-----l l----->

That angling of the exhuast pipes tucks the exhaust under the car at the middle but brings it closer to the rear axle than if they went straight over where they would hang down towards the ground at the middle of the car.
I see what you mean, I will check it when its up on the hoist.
One thing I did notice is the difference on the amount of height in the axel hump between the O/E and bend of the Pypes piece.. The O/E bend was much more generous in that area.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That may be the same scenario. Pypes has what they call flo-tubes (flow-tubes?) it's the intermediate pipe that goes between the 'X' crossover and the pipes that head to the rear axle. I'm not certain this is how the 05+ are since they are axle back mufflers whereas the 94-04 were all midpipe mufflers.

Anyways, the intermediate pipes are off-center so if you rotate them you can get a different position between the front half of the exhauast and rear part. If your system has them it may be as simple as loosing the clamps and rotating them to push the hump up as it goes over the axle. I don't recommend doing this on your back though. Everything is a slip-fit or a flared fitting but it will be very difficult to get it right while on your back.

Take a look at the instructions for your kit number on the Pypes website and see if your system has the "flow tubes" If they do, take it back to the shop and have them adjust them (rotate them) to get better clearance.

One other item. Flow Tubes are Pypes terminology, if you tell a muffler guy or a shop that, they'll look at you funny. You'll need to show them the instructions to get your point accross.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:33 PM
kechke

On the 05 the pipe is one piece and if it is rotated it moves the muffler to a different position so it will not line up with he rear valance cut outs so I guess that is not a solution.
Regardless thanks for the replies.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I was considering the Pypes/New Take Off duals. Not i'm not sure it's such a good idea.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Any aftermarket exhaust is designed to be used with the stock ride highth. If your car is not stock, then some adjustment would be needed no matter which brand you choose. I have pypes with stock ride highth and love it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
Any aftermarket exhaust is designed to be used with the stock ride highth. If your car is not stock, then some adjustment would be needed no matter which brand you choose. I have pypes with stock ride highth and love it.
Same here....I have Pypes X Pipe, mid pipe and GT mufflers and like they way they look and sound.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 AM
kechke

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Same here....I have Pypes X Pipe, mid pipe and GT mufflers and like they way they look and sound.
Mike from Pypes assures me that it needs to be tweeked, apparently my installer can't tweek!
Pypes want pictures of the installation so he can make a recommendation on the fix.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kechke
Mike from Pypes assures me that it needs to be tweeked, apparently my installer can't tweek!
Pypes want pictures of the installation so he can make a recommendation on the fix.
You should be able to loosen the mid pipes from where they clamp to the x and turn them to give them more space.

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust issue.