Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing V6 Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Judd22

Default Ford Racing V6 Cold Air Intake

I just ordered a FR cold air intake kit off summit racing. Im having someone install it once it gets here along with the FR dual exhaust. Is there anything i need to let the people know that are gonna install it with the calibration tool on what to do with the programing process? Also does anyone know how long it takes to get the procal tool? If anyone knows let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its all set -up for plug n play with the ford calibrator.
Its basically a "plug it in and it checks to see if the
tune matches the tune inside it and if not overwrites
the cars tune with its ford custom tune and the light
changes color to indicate it did it." type of install thing....
They are sometimes really slow getting the 'calibrator" out to you.
They need to know your 4 digit code on your PCM to get
you the correct "calibrator"...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think it's unfortunate that you didn't research new tunes on this forum before your purchase (or maybe you did). The FRPP tune WILL improve your performance somewhat but not as much as tunes from the likes of Bama and Brenspeed. I hope you didn't buy the FR package simply due to the "warranty" bullcrap.

Regardless, good luck with the buy and "so-simple-of-an-install-that-doesn't-require-a-third-party-to-do-that-even-a-caveman-could-do-it".
Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 PM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

once i talked to the pro-cal folks it was either overight or second day air. they were quick for me. in my kit there was a work sheet to check if there were any other values to be changed, like gear ratios or tire sizes. if i ever changed either they'll reprogram my unit. i'd rather do it but at least it can be done.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:09 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at just the intake itself, then going with someone else for a tuner. Good luck with the install though.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Looks like a nice setup. I'm thinking of getting one myself now that you can buy it($215.00 at CJs)without the procal unit. I'll have to give Justine at VMP a call and see if he can make me a tune for it. I like the way it seals to the hood and seems to block out the engine heat better. Good luck with it!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Judd22
I just ordered a FR cold air intake kit off summit racing. Im having someone install it once it gets here along with the FR dual exhaust. Is there anything i need to let the people know that are gonna install it with the calibration tool on what to do with the programing process? Also does anyone know how long it takes to get the procal tool? If anyone knows let me know. Thanks.
Are you going with a GT rear bumper or are you making the second cut out? If you are going duals, you'll have to modify.

Here's a Pypes template if you want to make the cut;

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-bumper-cutout02.pdf
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM
07hotwheel

Please post how you like the Ford Racing intake. We have a 2005 V6, and had the FRPP dual exhaust installed. looks great and sounds great. Yes, it cost more then the others, but it is really nice.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Judd22

How do i find the PCM number? Does anyone know? Im kinda of new to the whole performance scene. When i get it all installed ill let you know how i like it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Judd22
How do i find the PCM number? Does anyone know? Im kinda of new to the whole performance scene. When i get it all installed ill let you know how i like it.
Its on the pcm under the hood.
See picture
Attached Thumbnails Ford Racing V6 Cold Air Intake-calicode.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ford Racing V6 Cold Air Intake