Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 V6 Mustang Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Windhack

Default 2006 V6 Mustang Problem

Hi There,
I have used the search feature of this site to hopefully track down the cause of my problem to no avail, so I thought I would make a post.

I recently purchased a 2006 automatic v6 mustang around late June of this year. I absolutely love the car, but have had one annoying problem. During normal acceleration from a full stop; taking off from stop signs, lights etc. the car hesitates initially and then again as it transitions to the next gear. (Again my car is an automatic and the problem mostly occurs in the 10-20mph area)

When I first purchased the car, this was not apparent but a couple weeks after driving along my 40 minute start and stop commute to work it began to surface. After some googling, I discovered the overdrive is on by default in this year mustang. I began making a habit of disabling this before driving and it seriously helped the problem but did not solve it completely.

This problem does not appear under harder acceleration and is not interfering with my driving experience yet it is somewhat bothersome for a car that only has 14k miles on it.

Is this normal? Should I be worried about the transmission? Should I consult my dealer (I purchased a 6 year, 75k power-train warranty from the dealer)?

Thank you very much,
Chris

Edit: Also, if this is helpful, the car is not running a custom tune and is completely stock.

Last edited by Windhack; 09-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Check out this thread and see if it helps;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...ease-help.html
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It sounds like the fuel pump TSB. I recently bought my g/f an '06 V6 and, under heavy acceleration AFTER running a steady highway speed, the car would hesitate and bog down. If this is what yours is doing, there are air bubbles forming in the fuel pump during sustained speeds. My g/f had 1 month remaining on her warranty and the dealer replaced the fuel pump and the car is a gazelle.

If not that, replace the fuel filter.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

What DTCs if any are you throwing?
Remember, this is a drive by wire car and has no throttle linkage persay....
Old 09-05-2009, 02:52 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

Have you tried driving with traction control off? When I take mine off my automatic seems to hesitate less.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Windhack

Thank you for all the replies.

07 Stang, thank you for the link to the thread, I believe this may have solved my problem. I unplugged the battery for a few hours while I was washing my car and then drove it for about a half an hour with both start/stop and highway driving. The car seems to be much more responsive and has caused me to worry less about the transmission.

Do you have any more links available where I could read about this "adaptive learning". I was unaware of this feature and am very interested in how it works.

Thank you again for your replies, this will help me sleep a little bit better tonight. I don't know why I didn't just come to this community weeks ago.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Read your heart out....
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 AM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

the cars do that at first, you have to get a feel for them and they have to get a feel for you. its an adaptive learning thing within the car...basically it learns how to drive as you drive the way you want it to be driven
Old 09-08-2009, 09:47 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangfreak2
the cars do that at first, you have to get a feel for them and they have to get a feel for you. its an adaptive learning thing within the car...basically it learns how to drive as you drive the way you want it to be driven
You mean my car is learning how I drive and we have to get a "feel" for each other? That's kinda freaky!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet
You mean my car is learning how I drive and we have to get a "feel" for each other? That's kinda freaky!
Try Porsche, VW or Audis with Tiptronic, you can teach the car how to drive when in D. learns from your shifts when in sport mode

Quick Reply: 2006 V6 Mustang Problem