Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust system build out from headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Question Exhaust system build out from headers

Hello,
I'm in the process of determining what my new exhaust system set up will be. I'm located in the state of Pa where we must pass emmisions testing...and this is my DD, so I have to be reasonable. However, after Uncle Sam returns some of my OWN money to me next year I'll also be going F/I...more than likely an X-Charger set up if they ever releae the IC for it.

Anyway...on to my question. I think I'm going to go with these parts:

05-09 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers with 2.5" Collector - Ceramac Coated
Part Number: TF2405
Price: 399.50

OR

2005-2009 4.0 V6 1 5/8" Long Tube Headers with 2.5" Collector - Chrome Plated
Part Number: TF3405
Price: 289.50

05-09 V6 2.5" Stainless Steel Pro Chamber to Long Tube Headers
Part Number: 26605
Price: 299.50

Boom Tube Dual Cat Back Exhaust for 05-10 V6
Price: 380

First off I want to be able to pass emmisions, so can I keep my stock cats in place? None of the parts I picked on MACs site say they are for off road use only...BUT while looking at the installation instructions offered I didn't see any mention of cats (converter not of the feline variety ). My main concern is keeping my cats...I mean if need be I think I can get a decent set of High flow cats for cheap anyways, so that's not my concern. I just want to be sure of what I need so I can buy everything as soon as I get my security deposit back from my old place. Also, is Ceramic really worth it? I mean I know Chrome Plating is a step down, but how much longer do they last if they are ceramic coated vs. chrome plated.

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

as far as the cats are concerned, with longtube headers you will need to do a little fabbing. They are going to push your system back a bit. You should still be able to use the cats but like I said you are going to have to do a little cutting to make it work.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joshspony
as far as the cats are concerned, with longtube headers you will need to do a little fabbing. They are going to push your system back a bit. You should still be able to use the cats but like I said you are going to have to do a little cutting to make it work.
Thanks for the response. I planned on doing the work myself, but after hearing it would take fabbing to make it fit I may visit a muffler shop. Would hi flow cats be better to use? I don't think I should go about replacing all of my piping only to leave the stock restrictive cats in place.

I'm assuming the cutting would be done to the exhaust mid pipes? I'm pretty sure u didn't mean cut up my brand new headers!! Mid pipes wouldn't be that bad to cut...most of the cost of the exhaust kit comes from the axle backs.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

why dont you get matching mid pipe for the LT's?
cutting and fabbing may turn out to be a disaster if you are not a welder, and going to a muffler shop to fabricate something is expensive. you'll be better off buying a new one that's made and designed to fit and function properly.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

oh, i see, you're going to put cats into the prochamber.
why not a catted x pipe?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:53 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

If you're going with mac lt's and fabbing up the downpipes, you can them mate them up to smaller high-flow cats under the car, or farther back where there is room.
Then extend the rear o2 sensors and put them in after the cats.

That'll get your front-half worked out. For the back, you'll have to find something that sounds decent. The 6'er wont sound as good as a gt, but with a decent h pipe or prochamber, you at least have a chance. using a x pipe will make it sound like crap.

Here's a link to my high-flow cats with mac lt headers. This pic has no crossover and some uclamps for hangers; current setup is slightly different but the cats are in the same place.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d.../Rearview1.jpg

here's a pic of one of the down pipes with the cat and o2 bungs (one for wideband, one for rear sensor after the cat):
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...sgrPipe_01.jpg
Old 09-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

+ 1 on above 3 posts
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 PM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Like I said on S197, I have these parts for sale.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
If you're going with mac lt's and fabbing up the downpipes, you can them mate them up to smaller high-flow cats under the car, or farther back where there is room.
Then extend the rear o2 sensors and put them in after the cats.

That'll get your front-half worked out. For the back, you'll have to find something that sounds decent. The 6'er wont sound as good as a gt, but with a decent h pipe or prochamber, you at least have a chance. using a x pipe will make it sound like crap.

Here's a link to my high-flow cats with mac lt headers. This pic has no crossover and some uclamps for hangers; current setup is slightly different but the cats are in the same place.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d.../Rearview1.jpg

here's a pic of one of the down pipes with the cat and o2 bungs (one for wideband, one for rear sensor after the cat):
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...sgrPipe_01.jpg
Thanks for the photos and info. Your set up looks great! Am I correct in thinking that you don't have a cross over pipe? You go headers to cats then to axle back? Is that right? How does that sound? I think I may be trying to fit too much...LT headers, cats & prochamber...the axle back setup I'm going to get is Boomtubes....seems to sound the most aggressive from what I've heard. Any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shb5007
Like I said on S197, I have these parts for sale.
Any linkage...or can you PM me? You have all of what i'm looking for?

Can anyone speak to the need of Ceramic over Chrome Plating? Thanks again for all of the info so far...keep it coming!

Quick Reply: Exhaust system build out from headers