Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Sway Bar Hardware

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info here on geting the stuff to install the bars. I put mine on today using the parts I got from bob utter after I got the part numbers from this thread. I also found another link somewhere here for online manuals that gave me the torque specs (thanks 157). This place is great!!!!

Here's the ford 'captured' bolt that makes it real easy:

Notes on this mod..
1. This is really an easy install to do. (You were right Sam) I used ramps while doing each end.
2. I used new hardware for the rear, but re-used the front hardware w/blue loctite as suggested above.
3. There's plenty of room to torque all the bolts, except the front endlink nuts, I found just enough room to set the torque on them - with like only one ratchet click on my torque wrench - fun!!
4. I wanted poly bushings, but failed to order them so I skipped it. After the install what I realized is that I would love the pull out that rear end and finish/paint it. I should do this and put in all polys at the same time... I really wish they would have put a finish on these 7.5" rear ends..
5. This is a great mod, took it out for a spin and its a very noticable difference in handling.
6. The stock front 31.5mm bar almost looks the same as the 34mm GT one, you notice the difference when you pick up the 34 after the 31.5....

Thanks again to all here that suggested/showed how to do it and provided part numbers/links.

Last edited by laterider; 01-26-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

congrats. im about to do this but am having a hard time swallowing the price of the hardware from the stealership. where did you get yours? how much? the hardware for the rear literally cost more than the front and rear sways i got from new take off including shipping. did you notice any under steer or over steer or did it seem neutral? was the ride a little more bumpy? were you coming from the pony package?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Hey Laterider, can you post photos of the upper installation points of the bar? I would just like to see how the whole thing looks on your car.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
congrats. im about to do this but am having a hard time swallowing the price of the hardware from the stealership.

the hardware for the rear literally cost more than the front and rear sways i got from new take off including shipping.
Yep, same here!

Last edited by mpatilla; 01-26-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:01 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Steeda actually sells a hardware kit but, its only for the rear.

Found Here
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Moneyshot - mine is a reg v6, not pony. I got the parts online from bob utter ford. He saves u like $5 on each captive bolt. U can go to the website and work up the whole order price for the bolts before buying.
I'll try to get more pics up. I'm still learning the handling characteristics.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
did you notice any under steer or over steer or did it seem neutral? was the ride a little more bumpy?
I tried taking the on ramps pretty fast this morning, the car has less roll than before for sure. I couldn't really get on it (traffic), but for as fast as I could get I never felt the car pushing. I think 157 put it well somewhere here - feels kinda like a go cart. From an email with Sam Strano, I think the cars are still going to have some understeer even with a set of GT sways, but much less than with just a 31.5mm front bar as in the stock V6. I'm not sure any manufacturer is going to sell a car that truly oversteers.. Sam did mention, when you hit bumps in the rear, thats when these cars will exhibit oversteer.

I didn't notice the ride being more bumpy than before. Car feels good, feels just overall 'tighter'...
Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

mpatilla, here is another pic, hope it helps you.

My rear end is killing me, I can't believe how rusted in looks. I keep saying it, Ford should have finished these... Wanted to pull it out and do it...lol...

Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Couple more:
REAR

FRONT:
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Cool guys. Thanks for posting the pics!

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Hardware