Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel Mileage Computation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
... # of gallons (per the gas station pump)

Hand calculation also assumes that both your odometer and the gas station's pump are accurate. The on-board is good for a relative reading in most cases. Additionally, if you're not hand calculating AND resetting your average MPG at each fill-up, you'll barely see those changes to your fuel economy that indicate something is amiss with the car (i.e., low tire pressure, poor fuel quality, clogged intake filter...).

thats why i dont believe manual calculation is any more accurate than the dash reading. gas pumps vary on how accurate they are in dispersing fuel. i know this whenever i fill up my little red tank for my lawnmower. 2 gallons on the pump display IS NOT 2 gallons in my tank. something is off the mark.

"+" or "-" 1mpg seems to be the margin for error.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Newps

Originally Posted by Sancho805
thats why i dont believe manual calculation is any more accurate than the dash reading. gas pumps vary on how accurate they are in dispersing fuel. i know this whenever i fill up my little red tank for my lawnmower. 2 gallons on the pump display IS NOT 2 gallons in my tank. something is off the mark.

If you do a little research you'll find that the industry standard is the error in 5 gallons. If the error gets to be one cup in 5 gallons that's a pretty inaccurate pump. A half gallon error in five gallons pretty much gets Congress involved. You ain't gonna notice a 1 cup error in 5 gallons.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

and thats an "honest" station.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrisverneuil19
?? Huh, My Stang only show odometer and trip. WTF?
I THINK the on board with the MPG and economy meter and all that is part of one of the upgrade packages but I also think the majority of the Stangs that rolled off the line seem to have it.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:06 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I get 15 mpg on average. I never look at the computer mpg but maybe once because I don't care what mileage I get, because I know it won't be good

I do look at my boost gauge all the time though, and I am fairly sure if I could look at my boost gauge and gas gauge at the same time, they move in opposite directions almost simaltaneously.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I get 15 mpg on average. I never look at the computer mpg but maybe once because I don't care what mileage I get, because I know it won't be good

I do look at my boost gauge all the time though, and I am fairly sure if I could look at my boost gauge and gas gauge at the same time, they move in opposite directions almost simaltaneously.
with you on that one... i dont look at my mpg reading much anymore. i have a comfort driving style and i'm sticking to it. only gauge that matters most to me is the one that tells me if i'm close to empty
Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Nuke
I THINK the on board with the MPG and economy meter and all that is part of one of the upgrade packages but I also think the majority of the Stangs that rolled off the line seem to have it.
IF it's a Premium model is most certainly has it. It was one of the few available options on the deluxe models.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 AM
chrisverneuil19
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
IF it's a Premium model is most certainly has it. It was one of the few available options on the deluxe models.
Gotcha, Who ever ordered mine musta got the cheapeset model or something.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
THEBLACKSTANG
4th Gear Member

Mine seems to be very accurate and is usually off by a fraction of a mile per gallon.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:25 AM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805

You either need to report that station to the FTC or you're filling your container beyond its safety level. All containers, specially gas containers, will hold a lot more than their rated capacity.

Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage Computation