Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just put on my take off GT front and rear swaybars what about the GT springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 PM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default Just put on my take off GT front and rear swaybars what about the GT springs?

I have a set from a friend but not sure if the GT springs will help me. Will they raise the ride hieght on a V6? Which motor is heavier? I assume they are stiffer versus a V6 spring???
Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 AM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Don't worry about upgrading springs to GT springs.

What are you looking for with your suspension?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

They are for a V8s weight up front
and will upset your v6 apple cart.
Its not a good idea front or rear.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default was looking to stiffin it up abit

but not if its going to raise ride hieght. So the GT springss are useless even as a maintenance item when the car gets old and its time for struts and shocks?

I am reading your reply as it will raise ride hieght too much and its not the spring rate thats bad but the length thats a problem
Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yes, useless when its time to replace the stockers.
There are many different flavors of springs.
The verts have different springs as the coupes, GT and V6s.
The workshop manual shows about 12 different spring part
#s just for the 07 year model.... So a S197 spring is not a
spring, is not a spring.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Yep, the GT springs are for a heavier car and are too thick for the V6. I read somewhere that it will raise the height of your V6 something like an inch. Not good.

I've been thinking about adding the GT sways on my V6 'vert so I'm glad that you started this thread. May I ask if you've found a difference in the handling doing just this, without the other suspension mods? I'm asking because it's a cheap and easy mod. Also, did you have a hard time locating all of the bolts and connectors? I heard that this is an issue because some of these parts are one-time use only. Did you install yourself or have the shop do it?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:35 PM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default Hardware

I used grade 8 bolts and loctited them. Stock hardware is metric 10.9 grade and flange headed. I used washers also grade 8s. Dealer cost for some bolts were like $10 each. If yours already has hardware then reuse it the one time use is because of the nyloc nuts the bolts. IF tightened properly are nowhere near the yield point check a SAE Handbook or a web search for the usable strength range and suggested maximun vales to tighten them. Just beware if you use loctite you change the "K" factor which accounts for the friction on the threads when fastening them
Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 AM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default Easy install

Originally Posted by atldave
Yep, the GT springs are for a heavier car and are too thick for the V6. I read somewhere that it will raise the height of your V6 something like an inch. Not good.

I've been thinking about adding the GT sways on my V6 'vert so I'm glad that you started this thread. May I ask if you've found a difference in the handling doing just this, without the other suspension mods? I'm asking because it's a cheap and easy mod. Also, did you have a hard time locating all of the bolts and connectors? I heard that this is an issue because some of these parts are one-time use only. Did you install yourself or have the shop do it?
Easy swap did it my self front was on the ground rear was up on ramps. Got the bars at newtake offs Ebay site under name Diversified Marketing.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/DIVERSIF...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Once you use loctite on Nyloc nuts it destroys the nylon locking collar and you must use it everytime. I believe the onetime use is just CYA from Ford. None of the listed torques come close to yield point of the size fastners used. I have a set of the wheels like yours in the basement till spring. Do you have any rubbing without the recommended steering stop restrictors ???? feel free to email anytime about the install
Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tomtk3
I used grade 8 bolts and loctited them. Stock hardware is metric 10.9 grade and flange headed. I used washers also grade 8s. Dealer cost for some bolts were like $10 each. If yours already has hardware then reuse it the one time use is because of the nyloc nuts the bolts. IF tightened properly are nowhere near the yield point check a SAE Handbook or a web search for the usable strength range and suggested maximun vales to tighten them. Just beware if you use loctite you change the "K" factor which accounts for the friction on the threads when fastening them
I secured my rear sway bar with grade-8 bolts as well. Because of the sizes of the holes, you're able to mount them to the axle with larger diameter bolts, too. Had mine on for almost a year, and they are still tight.

As far as the springs, at least in the 05/06 specs, the GT and V6 use the same rear springs. I even acquired some used GT springs and they were the exact part number as the '05 v6 springs (rears). Fronts are different: GT's are stiffer, and will raise the front up a little more on a V6.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tomtk3
I have a set of the wheels like yours in the basement till spring. Do you have any rubbing without the recommended steering stop restrictors ???? feel free to email anytime about the install
I didn't do any special installation with the 17" wheels/tires, just had a local tire shop to the swap. I haven't had any issues at all rubbing. Sure improved the handling of the car tho!

Quick Reply: Just put on my take off GT front and rear swaybars what about the GT springs?