Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Foglamps anybody been able to get a dealer to program the Smart Junction Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default Foglamps anybody been able to get a dealer to program the Smart Junction Box

I sure would love to plug in a relay, a fuse, and add one wire to the Bussed Electrical Center(BEC) harness for my foglamps. My dealership sorta looked at me and blankly stared when I asked if they could do it.

All I would need is a ternimal to fit the bottom of the BEC for the foglight hot and hook one ground to the body.

If not I have built up an overlay harness with relays to emulate the function of the Foglamps function of the Smart Junction Box(SJB)

Feel free to email and specifics such as instructions for dealer and the terminal ends for the bottom of the BEC

tomtk3@wowway.com

Last edited by tomtk3; 10-25-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The terminals for the plug in relay are also missing from the BEC
and would also be needed....
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry I'm not of much help but I'm interested. What is this for?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:15 AM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default Mine is a 2009 and I guess its alil diff I will double check today

The BEC has the sockets and the contacts are there both the relay and the fuse. I will pull the BEC today and double check the rest of the connections.

I had already checked the from the BEC to the foglight indicator and it is definately there. The other coil control goes to the SJB. I'll bet the wires from the SJB to the switch are also there...I mean the V6 lights are functional thru the SJB so I doubt they would micro manage the harness that much if the car has no FOGS to eliminate one or two wires in a harness. I migt be wrong them Hindu engineers at FOMOCO can be a unique bunch

What ya think check out the picture??

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...d-splices.html

Last edited by tomtk3; 10-26-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add url to picture
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by tomtk3
I had already checked the from the BEC to the foglight indicator and it is definately there. The other coil control goes to the SJB. I'll bet the wires from the SJB to the switch are also there...I mean the V6 lights are functional thru the SJB so I doubt they would micro manage the harness that much if the car has no FOGS to eliminate one or two wires in a harness. I migt be wrong them Hindu engineers at FOMOCO can be a unique bunch
The sjb to bec and sjb to headlight switch wires are there.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

So does this mean that the wiring and relays for fogs are there or just the wiring to the switch plate
Old 10-27-2009, 07:42 PM
tomtk3
1st Gear Member

Default Looks like in my 2009

Wiring from BEC to SJB to Switch is there. Contacts for the fuse and relay are in the box.

The only thing missing on mine is the output from the relay to the foglamps and of course the PROGRAMMING in the SJB

I already built the overlay harness but it sure would have been easier to plug in a relay, one fuse, run hot wire to output of relay at bottom of BEC, and program the function into the SJB. Would have only been two wire connections one to bottom of BEC and one to a body ground

BUT my dealer is not able to program the function into the SJB
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yea but that takes all the fun out of it
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately Tom, I think you are going to have to think outside the box (outside the smartbox that is). I think you will be better off just making it into an independent system away from the OEM wiring. There's a guy in a different forum trying to do the same thing on a 2010 and he's coming to this realization. Following the factory methods are way too difficult and costly.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

It seemed to me that the needed wiring and functionality was only half-way there.
Yes, there's a place in the engine box for a fuse and relay, and yes, the fuse, once inserted, feeds power to the hot-side of the relay, both to the energizer coil and one side of the relay switch contact.
The wire to the other side of the relay coil, needed to energize it, runs to the SMJ, and ends there. From the SMJ, there is a wire to the headlight switch to activate the fog lights (with a gt switch of course); the headlight switch grounds that circuit when on, and through the SMJ, grounds the relay.
I bypassed the SMJ by running the wire to ground the relay directly to the headlight switch (cutting out the SMJ altogether from the circuit). That allowed a GT switch to properly energize the relay when turned on (yeah, it's not using the SMJ to control it, but I dont care). That's half of it.

The other half was there was no wire to feed output from the relay to the foglamps. There is a small wire (orange I think) that feeds back to the headlight switch to turn on the foglamp-on indicator, but it's a small wire and not one I wanted to rely on running the fog lamps. I ran a separate wire from the relay out to the foglights.

So the parts missing were: smj not energizing the relay; wiring to the foglamps. And for parts, you need: a fuse (I used a 10A, but you could use 15 if needed); a relay; a switch to turn on the foglamps ( a GT headlamp switch is the easiest and looks nicest).

Quick Reply: Foglamps anybody been able to get a dealer to program the Smart Junction Box