Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

black window trim fading

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

Default black window trim fading

The black window trim on my door is fading. It now has a hazy white tint to the black like its been out in the sun for a year (but mine is garage kept). Anyone else have this problem? Is there something on the market that will restore or can I just spray paint it black again? Anyone know how much the replacement cost is? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:13 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbrecken
The black window trim on my door is fading. It now has a hazy white tint to the black like its been out in the sun for a year (but mine is garage kept). Anyone else have this problem? Is there something on the market that will restore or can I just spray paint it black again? Anyone know how much the replacement cost is? Thanks.

Are you getting wax on the trim when you wax/polish the car?

You can try using TurtleWax Ice on the trim.

or try this

http://www.autogeek.net/motbactrimca.html
Old 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Are you getting wax on the trim when you wax/polish the car?

You can try using TurtleWax Ice on the trim.

or try this

http://www.autogeek.net/motbactrimca.html
...+1
Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Right on with the Turtle wax Ice,on my 2010, I use it only on everything black and rubber and plastic and does a great job restoring,sometimes I put it on and sometimes buff it off sometimes not but bumpers and all look good. on the roof of the new GT there are 2 rubber strips running along the top from front to rear, about 3 ft long, don't get junk on them if you have to replace as i did 220.00
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by vbrecken
That window felt/trim retails around $40 last time I checked.
Regular wax is the enemy of all those textured trim pieces if you don't clean up right away, which is hard to do.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
vbrecken
1st Gear Member

That's it. I wax my car about twice a year I apply it pretty liberally and I haven't been cautious about where it goes. I'll that Back to Black a try. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

also you might want to try the mothers interior dash spray it works pretty well and it will last about a month before you have to do it again.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

The only problem with using Back to Black is when it rains, you will find the oily residue left on your car. It doesn't hurt the paint, but you will have to wipe it off and then reapply something on the black trim.
I said something about the black trim a month after I bought the car. I thought for a new car, the trim looked terrible. As soon as I starting applying trim stuff to it, it brought out the luster in it again. So no it's not fading, you just need to get some oil back into the plastic.

Check out McGuire's line of products. I can't remember which one it is right now, but it does last a little longer. Plus it great for your tires too.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Get the oils back into the plastic with back to black.
Regular aintence is the key along with keeping
the wax off of it...

Last edited by 157dB; 10-28-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Armor All. It's probably the cheapest alternative and makes you black plastics look great. The best part is that when it rains it is water soluble so it leaves no residue on your paint. I use it on my tires also since I don't want all that black stuff on my fenders. When I bought the car they threw that back to black stuff on my tires. A week of driving later I thought I had tar all over my fenders, but it was that black stuff and it just wiped off.

Quick Reply: black window trim fading