Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
John.m.Kurtz
1st Gear Member

Default Tune question

Shouldnt the 87 tune put out more HP (even if by 1) than the 93 ? I ask because i thought that the lower the number the more power due to bigger explosion. So i guess what Im asking is, does our V6 have a long enough stroke to actualy gain by using 93 insted of 87?
Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by John.m.Kurtz
Shouldnt the 87 tune put out more HP (even if by 1) than the 93 ? I ask because i thought that the lower the number the more power due to bigger explosion. So i guess what Im asking is, does our V6 have a long enough stroke to actualy gain by using 93 insted of 87?
uhm no. That is why race fuel is octane 100+
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Higher octane means more time before combustion which means more compression! I have a CAI and tune and the difference between 87 tune and 93 tune is +7HP on the 93. Not to mention 93 (I only use Shell V-Power) keeps the engine cleaner. While very small, that extra 7 is more noticeable in a stick (due to less parasitic drive line loss) and at higher speeds (where HP takes over TQ). Again its only 7 HP but IMO every HP is worth it!

Last edited by JCON; 10-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
John.m.Kurtz
1st Gear Member

Thank you both for the great answers and help.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

This may also help...

Octane

Fuel octane requirements for gasoline engines vary with the compression ratio of the engine; Engine compression ratio is the relative volume of a cylinder from the bottom most position of the piston's stroke to the top most position of the piston's stroke. The higher an engine's compression ratio, the greater the amount of heat generated in the cylinder during the compression stroke. Posted octane numbers on gasoline pumps are a result of testing fuel performance under laboratory and actual operating conditions. The higher the octane rating on fuel the less volatile (evaporative qualities) and the slower the fuel burns. Higher octane fuel contains more POTENTIAL energy but requires the higher heat generated by higher compression ratio engines to properly condition the fuel to RELEASE that higher potential energy. In the refining process, fewer gallons of higher octane fuels are yielded from a barrel of raw crude, thus the higher cost.

If fuel octane is too low for a given compression ratio, the fuel prematurely and spontaneously ignites too early and the fuel charge EXPLODES rather than BURNS resulting in incomplete combustion. The net effect is a loss in power and possible engine damage. The operator hears an audible "knock" or "ping", referred to as detonation. Detonation may vary from a faint noise on light acceleration to a constant, deep hammering noise while driving at a constant speed. Improper timing adjustments, vacuum leaks, or excessively lean fuel mixtures may also cause detonation. Many vehicle owners believe that higher octane fuels are better for their vehicles since they are labeled "PREMIUM." The logic is that since it is a premium fuel it must be better. In reality, the premium label originates from the higher cost to refine and the resultant higher retail cost. Some refiners label their high octane fuels "SUPER." Some owners think that these fuels will make their vehicles more powerful. This is a MYTH! Only engines with high compression ratios can deliver all the potential energy from higher octane fuels! Always consult the manufacturer's octane recommendation to determine the proper octane requirements for any given vehicle.

Generally, engines with compression ratios of 9.3 : 1 or less will safely operate with unleaded 87 octane fuel. Engines with higher compression ratios usually require higher octane fuels. But many modern engines will safely burn 87 octane even with a higher compression ratio. This is accomplished by way to the engine fuel/air management system. Many owners who operate vehicles designed to operate on 87 octane fuel experience ping and knock. They usually "fix" this problem by purchasing the higher priced, higher octane fuels. Most owner's manuals indicate that some light and intermittent ping is normal but that heavy or sustained ping or knock should be attended to by either purchasing the correct octane fuel or servicing the engine. Most fuel refiners blend fuels for geographic areas and adjust their blends seasonally. These blending techniques compensate for the decrease in oxygen content with an increase in altitude and compensate for volatility during the warmer or cooler seasons. Significant ambient temperature changes (40 degrees Fahrenheit) or altitude changes (4,000 feet) may cause some serious engine detonation. This problem is usually corrected by filling the tank with "local" fuel that has been properly blended for season and altitude. Bottom line is do not waste your money on a fuel with a higher octane than your engine requires. You reap no benefits, and are just wasting money.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I agree with all but the end of that. While you will not use all potential energy, you will get more than power than using 87. Premium also has more detergents for cleaning. The HP gain was found using a Dyno
Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM
John.m.Kurtz
1st Gear Member

Dude knowledge is so cool. Yeah im not new to motors but there is still alot i dont know yet. Im thinking of going to school to learn to work on motors. Once again thanks for all the great info.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Not a problem! I am by no means a mechanic but I have played with a few cars and know how to take things apart. I learned most of what I know from asking others and doing it myself. Search on the forums is your #1 resource and for new questions, the people here are.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

u need the proper tune to take of advantage of the added benefits of a higher octane. adding 91/93 to your 87 factory tuned car will add nothing and actually cause some loss in power.