Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best filter for intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Default Best filter for intake?

What is good replacement filter for my JLT Intake? I hear some people using Amsoil Filters, also that R2C filter looks promising.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

All depends on your preference and where you live. If its dry and dusty you may or may not want to go for an oiled filter.

I made a short ram air intake for my friends Hemi Ram using a Specter cone. Works great! You can checkout Green Filters too or K&N
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

I live in the Bay Area in California, mostly dry weather and just some rain in the winter, not really dusty. I want to replace the filter because mine got a little damaged.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:46 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/in...roducts_id=214

That should be a replacement for your intake
Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Well I wanted a different filter than the stock JLT one, one that is more efficient and that doesn't really require oiling.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

AEM makes dryflow filters but the catch is that they are more restrictive than cotton-oil filters. just go with an s&b powerstack top. visit there site for the right fit to your intake. dust aint an issue up in norcal from my experience so you can afford a low restrictive filter like cotton-oil.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:51 PM
R2C Performance
Banned

Default Oiled filters? Why is this necessary?

No need to compromise low restriction for efficiency and engine protection.

Why oil a cheesecloth air filter? Regardless of manufacturer (and they are all fundamentally the same), why is this necessary in the first place? Oiled gauze filters afford low restriction when new or clean. Once loading occurs, the restriction curve rises almost vertically. Plus, they hold very little dust so maintenance is often required. What good is a performance filter if it only works as designed when new? How long does it remain in that condition?

Whenever a switch is made to a oiled cotton air filter, efficiency and engine protection are always sacrificed. In most cases, factory paper filters are approx. 98-99% efficient. Gauze, on its best day, is 95% and each time it's cleaned and oiled, the orientation of the fibers changes and it soon becomes even less efficient. In many cases, efficiency enters the high 80% range. This assumes that an even distribution of oil is applied. Too much is a problem and if you miss a spot, the gauze does almost nothing on its own. Regardless of where you live, dust is an issue. It contributes to significant wear and is the leading cause of engine oil breakdown.

It required a great deal of time engineering a performance media that maintains extremely low restriction when new and dramatically improves restriction performance once loading begins when compared to competitive products. Plus, oiling and solvent cleaning are never required!

It may be prudent to evaluate the choices once again and ask what's best when all of the important categories of filtration are considered.

Last edited by R2C Performance; 10-31-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

so aside from your product. What do you recommend? Are you willing to do a group buy special? I'm interested, I think something fell on mine before I installed it and crushed it a little. I was planning on getting a cheap $30 from Autozone
Old 10-31-2009, 06:41 PM
R2C Performance
Banned

Default R2C

We can set up a group buy on the replacement filters.

Take a look at the loading graph on our web site and you can determine the performance and efficiency comparisons of many filters.

The tests we conduct are based on SAE/ISO 5011 protocol and can be repeated anywhere in the world. The tests rely on standard air or SCFM rather than using random characteristics. We also test with fine dust rather than coarse. This represents real world conditions and fine is much more difficult to trap than coarse. We also count the amount of particles that go through a filter as well as determine the size in microns ranging from 5 to 1 micron and below. Unlike the majority of intake manufacturers, we manufacture our own filters and intakes and do so in our Forest Park, IL facility.

The majority of our filters utilize a 6" outlet with a shaped radius and a venturi rather than clamp onto a tube.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

I am in for a group buy for the filter. Will it fit the JLT Intake?

Quick Reply: Best filter for intake?