Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motor Trend at it again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:18 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

This is bull****! Everybody puts down the Mustang V6 including GT owners. Well I have a car that runs 14.6 second 1/4 mile times, gets me 27.6 mpg on the highway and cost me $19,300 when new. I've been driving it close to 5 years while Dodge & Chevy had there thumbs up there ***. A stock HEAVY V6 Challenger does the 1/4 in 16.0 seconds. A stock automatic Mustang V6 can beat that easily. And the Challenger V6 only comes with an automatic! Saw a V6 Charger 5 speed at the strip and it to was slow, low to mid 15s. As for the Camaro V6, Chevy had 8 years to try to get it right and it took them putting in a Cadillac V6 to do it, just wait till Ford puts the Econ-Boost V6 in it. Plus GM & Chrysler took money out of my pocket to stay in business, screw them!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my first mustang
This is bull****! Everybody puts down the Mustang V6 including GT owners. Well I have a car that runs 14.6 second 1/4 mile times, gets me 27.6 mpg on the highway and cost me $19,300 when new. I've been driving it close to 5 years while Dodge & Chevy had there thumbs up there ***. A stock HEAVY V6 Challenger does the 1/4 in 16.0 seconds. A stock automatic Mustang V6 can beat that easily. And the Challenger V6 only comes with an automatic! Saw a V6 Charger 5 speed at the strip and it to was slow, low to mid 15s. As for the Camaro V6, Chevy had 8 years to try to get it right and it took them putting in a Cadillac V6 to do it, just wait till Ford puts the Econ-Boost V6 in it. Plus GM & Chrysler took money out of my pocket to stay in business, screw them!
not everyone, I have 1 of each, I love both of them for different reasons.

In case you haven't noticed, if it's not a BMW 3 series it don't measure up at Motor Trend. So what ? No matter WHAT you have, someone will be faster, quicker, handle better, blah, blah, blah, blah. The S197 is an AMAZING car, V6 or V8. Amazing looks, an amazing car. Fun to drive, still turns heads, puts a smile on my face every time I jump in an turn the key. Who cares what the retards at Motor Trend say ?
Old 11-27-2009, 09:12 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone really care what MT says? It sure isn`t enough to get upset about. We know what we have.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 PM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Hopefully, Ford will get off their **** and put the twin-turbo Ecoboost in the Mustang.
Pff I'm not going to wait for Ford. I'm going to make my own, but there wont be anything Eco about it :P
Old 11-27-2009, 09:44 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I love my 4.0 but don't get me wrong there are draw backs.

First, its much louder inside than previous cars I've owned including an 8-cylinder
its not as smooth a ride or as good handling
its 4.0L and has one of the lowest outputs for an engine that size

to counter, its a convertible
its not a German sports sedan
even with a 4.0 lacking stock power, its still one of the most popular American cars

I am comparing this Mustang to the two Passats I've owned. The closest I can come to this engine is the 4.0L in my last one that puts out 275/275 hp/lbs. handling in both the FDW and AWD was much better and the ride noise was almost unnoticeable at 70mph, also no vibrations ever. What does it cost? the first Passat was a 2.8L v6 that went for around $22k new. Nicer in every way except it was slower. The second Passat went for $40k new and was better in every way except the cost to maintain.

Sure I would love to have a 4.0 that put out numbers that high, or even closer to the new 370Z/G37 engine but the truth is people still love this car no matter what MT says, when they need to match the V6 Camaro to be competitive in the V6 market, they will. Until then Ford will continue to give as little as they need to make a profit.

When it comes down to it, are you going to decide to love your car because a magazine told you to? or are you going to love it because it's yours and it's what you wanted?

I get more compliments on my car then most lightly modded GT's and I haven't done anything that someone could see from the outside.

Last edited by JCON; 11-27-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Won't win races? True if kept stock it doesn't win as many, but slap a Turbo or Supercharger in there and the 4.0 can best the stock GTs...
For f*cks sake, I wasn't putting down the V6, I was praising it. And don't go saying that a blown V6 can beat a V8- that's not a decent comparison. If you put a blower on a V8, good luck with keeping a blown V6 up to speed. A better comparison would be a blown 4.6L and the SC 5.4L.

Happy Motoring!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench
For f*cks sake, I wasn't putting down the V6, I was praising it. And don't go saying that a blown V6 can beat a V8- that's not a decent comparison. If you put a blower on a V8, good luck with keeping a blown V6 up to speed. A better comparison would be a blown 4.6L and the SC 5.4L.

Happy Motoring!
Actually given the fact that the msrp difference between a new V6 and a GT similarly equipped is $7000 it's a very decent comparison. A blown V6 can put you in the same performance range or better than a stock/lightly modded GT, and you can pocket the several thousand bucks not spent.

I'm not saying that if your goal and/or need is for 500+ HP that the 4.6 or 5.4 engines arent the way to go, but if 350-ish HP is enough, than a blown 4.0L will get you there with style and without breaking the bank.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

The price difference is really huge. When I was looking around for my car the price difference in my case would have been 10K between the V6 and the V8 (every local market is different). Since I had just purchased a new car for the wife the year prior, it was a simple choice to pocket the money (or she would have killed me). Same car with a V8 and different badges for 10K more didn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
The price difference is really huge. When I was looking around for my car the price difference in my case would have been 10K between the V6 and the V8 (every local market is different). Since I had just purchased a new car for the wife the year prior, it was a simple choice to pocket the money (or she would have killed me). Same car with a V8 and different badges for 10K more didn't make much sense to me.
That thought crossed my mind too. I paid 19K for mine brand new right off the car carrier. The GTs were selling $7-10K more. I knew my daughter would be needing a car soon, so I pocketed the rest and bought her an almost new car a few months later.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by socalwrench

Happy Motoring!
Yes a blown V6 against a stock GT is a decent comparison when you factor in how much you pay for the GT compared to the V6 with the blown engine.
True, now you can pick up a used GT for a great deal, but I'm talking new.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend at it again!