Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

new and got questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 PM
dopedc
1st Gear Member

Smile new and got questions

hey im new here so just telling everyone hey i just got a 07 4.0 mustang and im wanting to know some header/exhausts questions what is better sounding and more power
Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Do you have some parts in mind already?
Some general general info regarding your question:
-Different mufflers don't really perform superior to each other, the only difference is in the sound. However, any muffler will be a performance/sound upgrade over your stock 6 muffler
-When converting to duals, you have to decide if you want an H or X pipe. H's don't flow as well but provide a deeper sound, whereas X pipes are considered slightly higher performing but give a different exhaust note that some have described as "slightly more exotic" it's all a matter of taste though. I personally preferred the deep sound of the H over the slight gain of an X. Plus getting an H fabricated is cheaper than buying an X.
-Headers will deepen your sound but don't expect much in the way of gains unless you get longtubes, which delete the cats (which i'm pretty sure is legal in your state).
Let us know if you have any more questions, i'm sure this answer raised some haha
And Congrats on your purpose, welcome!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

took off my mufflers and went with MAC boomtubes, they are a strait pipe and they sound amazing, they are loud as heck and ppl always hear me coming. real deep and throaty to
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 AM
dopedc
1st Gear Member

ok so im new to all this im 18 and im trying to figure out whats better long tube or shorty? i live in Kentucky im almost positive its legal?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by staggolee
-Headers will deepen your sound but don't expect much in the way of gains unless you get longtubes, which delete the cats (which i'm pretty sure is legal in your state).
Let us know if you have any more questions, i'm sure this answer raised some haha
Really - I didn't know it was legal to delete your cats in Kentucky....
Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dopedc
ok so im new to all this im 18 and im trying to figure out whats better long tube or shorty? i live in Kentucky im almost positive its legal?
You would have to contact the State Police Inspections to see if it might be a problem.....that's if your state requires an inspection.
I know here in VA you have to have mufflers or else your car will not pass inspections.

Congrats on the Mustang!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 AM
dopedc
1st Gear Member

lol that sucks there are alot of retarded rednecks here that have it straight off the headers lol its funny but yea i think im gonna go with long tube /x pipe with magnaflow because i dont want it loud but i want the most performance i can get ?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:41 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by dopedc
lol that sucks there are alot of retarded rednecks here that have it straight off the headers lol its funny but yea i think im gonna go with long tube /x pipe with magnaflow because i dont want it loud but i want the most performance i can get ?
Welcome to MF. Post some pics of your stang so we can see whatcha got.

As far as exhaust, I am a big fan of the FRPP setup. Some of the other exhausts can sounds great at idle or mid throttle, but when you get into it, they can sound really raspy. Search through the tech section and listen to some of the exhaust clips.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

FYI, headers, either LT's or shorties, will provide minimal gains. Plus, with LT's, you'll need a tune to turn off the O2 sensors. Spend your $$ on a CAI & tune. That's a much bigger bang-for-the-buck in RWHP.

Where in KY are you? I just finished a 2 year assignment in Paducah and moved north (uggghhhhh).
Old 11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Well with Magnaflows your gonna be loud. If you want the quiter, I would say go with GT takeoffs or FRPP or something. Personally I have Flowmaster 40's they are definitly not quite and they are really deep when they break in. They do drone though pretty bad on the interstate about 2 Grand. I put shortys on to because they are easier and cheaper and give nearly identical performance and from what I hear more low end torque while give up some high end horsepower. You dont need a tune with them either but I would recomend one. Also you dont need a crossover pipe of any kind it does nothing but the sound on a V6 but I would say go with a H unless your like me and go straight with two true duals

Quick Reply: new and got questions