Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How am I doing so far?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPLSTNG
The wheels and the tint helped it look prettier. The single GT500(7991) take off muffler helped it sound better. The drop in K&N filter pretty much didn't do anything.

In the past week I have bought:

GT take off front and rear sway bars.
New Moss Motors front and rear sway bar bushing kits.
New Steeda rear sway bar hardware kit.
A pair of GT m/t(7849) take off mufflers(going to convert to H pipe/duals).
Steeda cold air intake kit.
Used unlocked SCT X3 tuner.

By buying some used and some take off parts from both ebay and this forum, I am out about $500. Probably looking at another $200-300 to finish the exhaust and install the sway bars. $800 sounds like a lot but I think I'm getting a lot for my money.

I've tried to read a lot of advice from here and I am trying to get the best bang for the buck on mods that will help it run better, sound better and handle better.

How do you think I'm doing so far?
you need a GT front brake upgrade. Your V6 discs look tiny in the bigger wheels, and it will stop better. All you need is the rotors and new GT caliper mounting brackets, the calipers are the same on both cars. I just bought a true dual Pypes kit, and I got a great deal on it from a guy on E-Bay. Take a look, and since you already have GT take off mufflers ask him if he'll sell you just the conversion kit without mufflers and save yourself enough money to get GT brakes.

Car looks good !!
Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

I agree. Ford did a particularly ugly job with the moldings for the Mustang. Nothing is 100% preventative, and I am not pretending to think it will magically stop "all" dings...but it will stop the majority of them.
Ford doesn't install door mouldings. The dealer put that on. A $4 part probably cost the original buyer $180.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

In another 20 years I bet they build doors out of materials that are immune to parking lot dings.
They all ready have, its called fiberglass and plastic. How many saturns and corvettes have you seen with a door ding--Zero.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fact that you'll need some good tunes to go with the CAI and tuner. Brenspeed can e-mail you tunes. I don't recall what they charge since I ordered their tunes with my tuner.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:56 PM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

Ok, I finally took everyone's advice and pulled off the body side(rental) moldings. Even after wd40, goo gone, turtle wax and rubbing compound, I have lovely two-tone paint on both doors now...just friggin wonderful.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fact that you'll need some good tunes to go with the CAI and tuner. Brenspeed can e-mail you tunes. I don't recall what they charge since I ordered their tunes with my tuner.
Brenspeed tunes are $75 and Bama's are $50.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

Ok, I finally took everyone's advice and pulled off the body side(rental) moldings. Even after wd40, goo gone, turtle wax and rubbing compound, I have lovely two-tone paint on both doors now...just friggin wonderful.
Why do you have two tone paint? Did the door paint fade, except under where the moldings were, and now your left with darker stripes? You may be able to take her to a body shop where they can buff or wheel the color to blend it. A few bucks spent to get rid of those gawd awful moldings will be worth it! Go very very easy with any rubbing compound yourself, as that will dull your finish in a heart beat depending on the grit of it.

Another topic......Have you thought of painted GT rockers? They make a heck of a difference is visually lowering the car.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Yup, that is why I park wayyyy far out away from people
And look good doing it...

These cars are largely styled after the 60's classics, which did NOT come with cheesy plastic door bumpers. As stated above, these were mainly applied for fleet use. They really do break up the lines of the car.

Me? I'm with Oddysey, I'd rather get a little more excercise from the far end of the parking lot.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

How noticable, post some pics so we can see. The longer those stay on your car, the more damage they do.

My neighbor has someone on her little mercury, and they are so old they turned white (the paint came off) her car is silver and now she has off-white ugly plastic stripes down her car she can't remove.

Find out what it would cost to get them blended, but honestly even if you can see a darker painted stripe, that is still not as bad as a chunky plastic strip down the side.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 AM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

I took a couple of pics and uploaded them here:

http://img13.imageshack.us/g/driverkm.jpg/