Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How am I doing so far?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

A stripe like that would be really cool. See you lost the door molding and are now getting a new stripe in the process. Aren't you glad you stopped by? lol
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 AM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

So glad it is hard to express in words! I was thinking a modified C stripe...kinda like this one except not going up as high and just thick enough on the top line to cover where the molding was. I'm not a real big fan of stripes but I am less of a fan of $600 worth of door repainting. My 16 yr old disagrees, he thinks it will look 'sick'.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:55 AM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPLSTNG
I'm not a real big fan of stripes but I am less of a fan of $600 worth of door repainting. My 16 yr old disagrees, he thinks it will look 'sick'.
Wow...how many quotes did you get? I didn't expect it to cost that much.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:29 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

$600 for painting two doors isn't a bad price at all so get real people.

A C stripe won't work because it won't hide where the molding was, it's at the wrong level.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

TPLSTNG, I'm sorry to hear about the mess we seemed to have caused you. I must confess, that I have never heard of anyone else having the problems you are having.
I would go into the Chop Shop forums and ask one of those guys to paint some kind of stripe or graphic to hide the adhesive stain and see what it looks like. You can also go to this Ford website and customize a 2010 Mustang to get an idea of the right decal to add;

http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

I did see a wide one that goes over the section in question. Keep your chin up, I'm sure it will turn out much better than before.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:31 AM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

I got 3 estimates when I got the passenger door painted. This time I just went to the one I decided on last time.
It would have to be a custom C stripe, not a regular one...or I could go old style with a reverse C stripe like:

or something like this one:

I think that last one is close to being the right height.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:52 AM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

I've followed almost the same path as you in modding my V6. The wheel and tire upgrade made a huge change both in looks and handling. The single GT muffler swap had the best ratio of cost/outcome of any mod I've done. IMHO, this should be the first $100any V6 owner should spend in their car. I'm going to install the second one and a H-pipe next week. I'm not expecting any performance gains--mainly doing it for looks at this point. I've found a shop that will do it for $200 but they want me to do the bumper cut myself before I come. My next mod after that will be the CAI tune. I'm surprised you were able to find one for such little $$. I keep looking, but it's hard to find a CAI for a sixer and everyone seems to want about $300 for a second hand tuner.

After getting lots of razzing on this forum, I also deleted the door molding a couple of months ago. I took it to the body shop that's done work for me in the past. They agreed to do the job for $40. They used a head gun to warm up the surface a bit and then very carefully worked it off with a very soft, very thin putty knife. They were able to get it off without scarring the clear coat. After a little buffing, you could never tell that the molding was ever there. And you know what? I do have to admit that the lines of the car are much better.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 AM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

Glad you had better luck on your molding. I used a hair dryer, maybe that didn't help.

A simple cs type stripe may work for me:
Old 12-24-2009, 12:57 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPLSTNG
Glad you had better luck on your molding. I used a hair dryer, maybe that didn't help.

A simple cs type stripe may work for me:
That would look great! What color?
I wouldn't put the small decal on the front fender though....it looks out of place IMO, but the one on the door would hide that molding stain perfectly!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:57 PM
TPLSTNG
1st Gear Member

I think black looks the best on tungsten.