Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gt 500 hood ruining alternator

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 AM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Default UPDATE! gt 500 hood ruining alternator

hey guys, so when i got my vehicle repaired after the accident, the dealership body shop found me a good new take off gt500 hood and put it on my vehicle, with the normal gt bumper and stuff (i know its not supposed to fit right but somehow they got it to) anyways, i have always been worried about the open scoops with the engine bay getting water. and about a month ago my alternator gave out, Ford covered it under warranty and stuff and replaced it... but i never thought anything of it until a friend told me that alternators cant get super wet and maybe when im washing my car or its raining the water is going through the scoops and getting to the alternator.... is this true? i mean to me it seems like why dont the gt500s alternators get ruined... but i think maybe their engine bay arrangement is probably different.. what do you guys think?

UPDATE!!!
UPDATE!!!

So now ford is telling me that water is not causing damage to the alternator.. but they think that because i have HIDS and my pioneer touch screen radio wired into the car, they think im over straining my alternator.... so they recommend a new more powerful alternator or a capacitor.. what do you guys think.

Last edited by locorider21; 12-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

On the GT500, the alternator is on the driver's side, way down towards the bottom of the engine. The huge heads, etc sort of shelter it from the rain.

Also a fair number of GT500s lead very sheltered lives and only come out to play when the weather is nice

You might try finding an '05 V6 alternator cover on eBay or someplace. It would deflect some of the rain (these were a good idea and looked decent, but Ford deleted them after the first year or so of S197 production).

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 12-27-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
On the GT500, the alternator is on the driver's side, way down towards the bottom of the engine. The huge heads, etc sort of shelter it from the rain.

Also a fair number of GT500s lead very sheltered lives and only come out to play when the weather is nice

You might try finding an '05 V6 alternator cover on eBay or someplace. It would deflect some of the rain (these were a good idea and looked decent, but Ford deleted them after the first year or so of S197 production).

im having a hard time finding one of these covers. what other alternatives do i have? other than changing the hood.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by locorider21
im having a hard time finding one of these covers. what other alternatives do i have? other than changing the hood.
Block the hood louver on that side?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Cover the vents from underneath the hood?
You should try the s197 appearance section to see what they do. Lots of people run gt500 hoods.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

UPDATE!!!

So now ford is telling me that water is not causing damage to the alternator.. but they think that because i have HIDS and my pioneer touch screen radio wired into the car, they think im over straining my alternator.... so they recommend a new more powerful alternator or a capacitor.. what do you guys think.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by locorider21
UPDATE!!!

I think unless you have a huge amp to go with that Pioneer, or defective HID's (which actually use less power than regular incandecent bulbs) they're probably wrong.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
rampant racing
1st Gear Member

jaybo has one of those covers your looking for over at the collective.it is for sale just posted recently(today).
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rampant racing
jaybo has one of those covers your looking for over at the collective.it is for sale just posted recently(today).
so i hate to sound dumb.. but where exactly is the collective?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 AM
JimC

www.mustangcollective.com

A lot of members here are also members over there

Quick Reply: gt 500 hood ruining alternator