Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

about to go pro charged need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Default about to go pro charged need your opinion

hey guys. ok so ive been talking about this for a while now but the time is finally here. The week of jan 4 i will be putting in my procharger in my v6. i have a problem though that i need your guys opinion on. ive heard alot on these forums that if you super charge a v6 you need to change the rear end from a 7.5 to an 8.8. Which im really considering but right now i really dont have the money to make the switch. I have been considering though maybe getting 3.73 gears for my 7.5 rear end.. so heres my question.. i dont do alot hard rough driving as far as racing. Alot of it is city and highway driving in austin where i go to college.. so can i put the charger in , switch to the 3.73 gears and run the 7.5 rear end for about 6 months until next summer when i can probably afford the 8.8 rear end?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

By the time you buy the gears and pay for labor, you'll have spent better than half what a takeoff 8.8" would run. I'd probably just run the stock gears 'til you can afford the axle swap.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:07 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
By the time you buy the gears and pay for labor, you'll have spent better than half what a takeoff 8.8" would run. I'd probably just run the stock gears 'til you can afford the axle swap.
alright.. but ill be fine waiting on the axle swap a few months? i mean i dont plan on drag racing the car or anything? However, what eventually happens? Like when i get to the point where i NEED to switch axles.. what happens exactly? does the 7.5 axle just give out completley?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Wes_T
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the S/C, just take it easy and get the new rear end asap. I wouldn't bother swapping gears in to the 7.5 if you plan a 8.8 in a few months to a year.

The key here is that you take it easy with the new power your adding. If you can be easy on the take-offs, and not try and show off the new S/C, your 7.5 will be ok. Drag racing, or any hard starts is where the rear end can fail.

When if fails, the gears inside the "Pumpkin" can bind, break, ect., it shouldn't fall off or anything, but you won't have any drive in the rear wheels. Oh, and the sound will probably make you cringe

Good luck, I hope you have more self control than I after a power upgrade!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wes_T
Congrats on the S/C, just take it easy and get the new rear end asap. I wouldn't bother swapping gears in to the 7.5 if you plan a 8.8 in a few months to a year.

The key here is that you take it easy with the new power your adding. If you can be easy on the take-offs, and not try and show off the new S/C, your 7.5 will be ok. Drag racing, or any hard starts is where the rear end can fail.

When if fails, the gears inside the "Pumpkin" can bind, break, ect., it shouldn't fall off or anything, but you won't have any drive in the rear wheels. Oh, and the sound will probably make you cringe

Good luck, I hope you have more self control than I after a power upgrade!
thanks.. ugh its gonna be hard not to want to take off.. lol.. well see.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yea just get a takeoff when you get the new rear, much cheaper.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The 7.5 isn't made of peanut brittle. I have been running the 7.5 with 3.73's for a while and I have had no issues. I haven't gone to the track, but you can still have some fun with your procharger until you get the 8.8. I do it all the time.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The 7.5 isn't made of peanut brittle. I have been running the 7.5 with 3.73's for a while and I have had no issues. I haven't gone to the track, but you can still have some fun with your procharger until you get the 8.8. I do it all the time.
alright.. thats what i was hoping.. can i run it with stock gears for the first few months.. or do i need to switch to the 3.73? im not to worried about cost on the gears, a friend of mine is going to install them so labor fee is nothing to worry about.. just the actual cost of the gears.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You can run it on your stock gears, driving and getting on it isn't what will hurt it. Hard launches where you hook up is what will tear it up. Just don't put any drag radials or hit the track and it will be just fine.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

ive put about 10,000 miles on the 7.5 since getting blown, no issues.

Quick Reply: about to go pro charged need your opinion