Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust is Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:18 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust is Coming Soon!

Hey guys, come February im going to have my exhaust done. Im going to take it to a local shop (any guys in MA probably know this shop) Lou's Custom Exhaust. I have a couple questions for you:

1). Since this is a v6 it needs a conversion. So should i go with an H pipe or X pipe?
2). What mufflers should I go with?
3). If they wont cut my bumper, whats the best way to cut it or where should i take it, that they are willing to do it?

Thanks a lot guys
Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bfeels
Hey guys, come February im going to have my exhaust done. Im going to take it to a local shop (any guys in MA probably know this shop) Lou's Custom Exhaust. I have a couple questions for you:

1). Since this is a v6 it needs a conversion. So should i go with an H pipe or X pipe?
2). What mufflers should I go with?
3). If they wont cut my bumper, whats the best way to cut it or where should i take it, that they are willing to do it?

Thanks a lot guys
Congrats on going duals!

1) I have an X pipe. From what I read, it helps with performance. H pipe is better for sound

2) mufflers are a matter of personal taste. Youtube is a good source to hear different setups. My pypes kit came with their streetpros. But you really should do some youtubing and decide from there

3) Before I got rear ended and got my GT bumper, We used a pnumatic (spelling) body saw to cut the notch out of the bumper. Pypes has an EXCELLENT template to use, check out their site. I would recommend that you use masking tape and tape the painted side of the bumper where the notch will go, then trace the template on the tape. This will help prevent paint chips.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

I cant wait to get them done. What type of sound do your pypes create? I know im putting duals on a V6 but i want a more deep throaty sound
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Go with an x-pipe, and get some GT take-offs for mufflers (most affordable options)

Recommended option is to get the FRPP kit.

If you want a custom setup, go with an x-pipe, have the shop fab you a mid-pipe, and get a set of borla's for mufflers (expensive)
Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Definitely go X pipe....I went duals with the Flowmasters Super 40's. Nice deep tone. However I will say that when you first get them...if you decide on the FM's, the drone is a PITA!!!! But after a while, the drone lessens and becomes more bearable. But I love the FM's even with the drone LOL.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bronxbomba63
Definitely go X pipe....I went duals with the Flowmasters Super 40's. Nice deep tone. However I will say that when you first get them...if you decide on the FM's, the drone is a PITA!!!! But after a while, the drone lessens and becomes more bearable. But I love the FM's even with the drone LOL.
Do you come across any rasp? I had a v6 camaro before i bought my mustang and when i put flowmasters on the car the rasp was awful and made the car sound like a ricer
Old 01-22-2010, 04:52 PM
mustangbrewer

I put on Flowmaster American Thunder's and couldn't be happier. It sounds deep and throaty and I got an H-pipe installed.

I also used the pypes template to cut out my bumper. It wasn't hard, I did it in the rain lol

It sounds like a GT untill a GT is sitting next to it. You wont be disappointed.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:14 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

is what i heard true that an H-pipe is more for sound and the X-pipe is more for performace? if so, how? Do you think the 40's will sound good? I was also thinking about MAC or SLP Loudmouths. Tell me what you think
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Not the best vid but you can hear my car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWO5VF8qMI
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bfeels
Do you come across any rasp? I had a v6 camaro before i bought my mustang and when i put flowmasters on the car the rasp was awful and made the car sound like a ricer
Nope, doesn't sound raspy at all. Like I said, it's a nice deep mellow tone. Especially at idle. But when you get on it, it's nice and loud, but not overbearing. BTW, I'll try and get a vid this weekend.

Quick Reply: Exhaust is Coming Soon!