Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pics: Got "True" Duals Installed Today - No X, Y, or H Pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Pics: Got "True" Duals Installed Today - No X, Y, or H Pipe!

Just thought I'd share.... Nothing too off the wall this time

Here are a few pics I took with my phone today when I was getting my "true" duals installed. I had a dual setup already, but with a modified "y" pipe (basically had a split coming out of the rear end of the "y"). In the first picture you can see where the cuts were made, and in the second is the completed job.

My V6 sounds pretty mean now with the straight pipes and Boom Tubes. It's kind of a deep rumble sound, but of course I'm always looking for something that sounds meaner if you have any suggestions.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Any sound clips?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
Any sound clips?
I took one with my camera today but when i played it back it sounds like crap because the wind was blowing. I wish I knew a way to get an accurate sound clip. I can tell you this though, it sounds VERY deep now and not anything like a V6. Not that I'm hating on V6s (especially since i have one), but we all like that deeper sound. It's almost so deep that it doesn't sound right if that makes any sense. But sounds awesome, and that probably makes less sense
Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I am pretty sure its recommend NOT doing this. The engines are meant to run like that. It deals with the pressure creating from the h/x/y piping. I will see if i can dig up some info on what i mean.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

You need a one piece DS man.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
You need a one piece DS man.
What's a one piece DS?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
I am pretty sure its recommend NOT doing this. The engines are meant to run like that. It deals with the pressure creating from the h/x/y piping. I will see if i can dig up some info on what i mean.
I know a ton of guys who have done the same setup and have had no issues.

If you know something otherwise I would love to know. The last thing I want to do is screw something up. The only thing I've heard (and noticed) is a little bit of a loss in low end torque, but my 4.10s make up for that.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
What's a one piece DS?
A one piece driveshaft
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

With an 8 you see advantages of having them connected. I don't see any reason why you would have issues since the six is even firing.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

It might be different fox 6ers too. cant say for sure.

Basically it deals with backpressure. the engine is "balanced" from the factory with a certain amount of backpressure. When you take the cats off, change to an x pipe, change the muffler you alter this backpressure. remember it was engineered the way it was for a reason

Backpressure and torq go hand in hand. As you stated you lost torq because you have lost the factory set backpressure. The midpipe creates the majority of the backpressure. You remove it, the cats and the mufflers and there is literally no resistance at all.

Now all this has an impact on valve behavior in the engine. Specifically the exhaust valve and cooling. Without the back pressure the cooling of the exhaust valve may not be as effective as it was setup to be from the factory. Thus it can cause premature valve failure.

This obviously will not be instant and you are not going to snap a valve in a week. But over time 25K or so, something might happen. then again it may not. I cant produce an statistical data on the matter or anything but this is just general physics type crap.

Older engines could get away with it but technology has come along way form the muscle car era when emissions and EFI didnt exist and carbs were king.

Last edited by howarmat; 01-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Pics: Got "True" Duals Installed Today - No X, Y, or H Pipe!